Writing up AARs - Some Thoughts

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Malty666

Writing up AARs - Some Thoughts

Post by Malty666 »

I recently wrote up some thoughts on writing and presenting AARs. I put the results here:

http://www.thewargamingaddict.com/writi ... -top-tips/

What do you think of the ideas - should we see more of these? Are they too hard to implement? Would people prefer tutorials on how to do these?

EvilGinger

Re: Writing up AARs - Some Thoughts

Post by EvilGinger »

Nice idea's do try to do that sort of thing even if I dont have the kit to do that trick with pictures.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

SableFox

Post by SableFox »

I think the points raised are all very valid. Even if you know the rules & period well without knowledge of the terrain, force compositions and position of the table, the reports can be difficult to follow.

An idea I have - yet to try it out - is to separate out a action narrative from the game/rule elements - perhaps by putting the latter in to text boxes at the relevant places. So you can just read the action and ignore the mechanism; or choose to read about how that aspect of the action was handled in terms of the rules).

Malty666

Post by Malty666 »

I really like that idea SableFox!

topi

Post by topi »

List of suitable tools and tips are always good. For example RollD20 was a new thing for me - it looks quite nice for visualizing the map and general movements.