Bougainville Boogie

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Teufelhunden

Bougainville Boogie

Post by Teufelhunden »

Finally got my first full game of CoC in. Only a couple of reduced squads per side, and a couple of supports (Japanese HMG, and "knee" mortar as I don't have a squad of them done up/USMC LMG, and FO for the Company 60mm mortars, as they are not painted up), but it was enough for a solo game. Each side only had one senior leader. Next time, I'll have to include all my rolls, and such to get feed back on what I'm doing wrong. Hopefully, will have at least partial third squads done for each side, and a few more support options next game.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78748376@ ... 556951971/

genew49

Re: Bougainville Boogie

Post by genew49 »

Great job, I really enjoyed reading your report. Most of your figures look like Eureka 20mm, I have some but they're not painted yet. I lived in Brockton for a couple of years when I was a kid. Don't recall any Drinkwaters though (lol). Looking forward to the next chapter.

Teufelhunden

Post by Teufelhunden »

Thanks. How funny about Brockton(?). About half of the figures used here were Eureka. I actually bought a squad of both sides from 3 different manufacturers, as I wasn't sure who I wanted to use, and for variation. The Eureka figs definitely are the most animated, and IMHO the best looking once painted, but each line has their strong points. The other ones in this game are IT Figures. They actually are the "cleanest" figures, with little to no flash, belts, straps, etc. are consistent thickness, and were very easy to paint up. The last set I bought that still have to be painted are Sergeant Major Miniatures. Haven't cleaned them up or painted them, yet, so can't comment on quality, but I really liked all of the support figs for MG's and mortars. Plan on getting Platoon 20 for the Japanese grenade discharger squad.

Juan Mancheño

Post by Juan Mancheño »

Great AAR. Your figures and terrain are wonderful!

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

Excellent and engaging report, but it would have been interesting to see it from a Japanese perspective as well (this is not a criticism, merely an after-thought).

Many thanks for your time and effort.

Teufelhunden

Post by Teufelhunden »

Thanks All!

Oozeboss, thanks for the feedback on what would make it more interesting. If there was another player, I would probably include the Japanese view, but I don't get much gaming time as is, so will probably continue with trying to make a decent read from the Marines view only at this point.

I saw someplace that you are working on a Kokoda Trail battle. I'd be very interested in following that. I ran a Kokoda Trail campaign at the HMGS conventions using the Fire & Fury Battlefront rules a few years ago, really had a good time, and met a lot of good people through it. I knew nothing about Kokoda or Papua when I began, but it is one of those stories that really draws you in. Looking forward to yours.

mluther

Post by mluther »

I too am looking forward to the Kokoda Trail battle.
I understand Wartime Miniatures in Oz is suppose to come out with some 20mm Diggers for this and Milne Bay. Which will give me an excuse to get a couple of Type 95s tanks for the Japs.
Mark

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

I share your enthusiasm, gents.

In a hobby dominated by the likes of Tigers, IS2s, flamethrowing vehicles and all sorts of ott uber-armour, getting absorbed by a campaign largely fought at infantry company level, where the heaviest armour were Stuarts and Ha-Gos (and in numbers that did not exceed the number of fingers on one's hands) is like a breath of fresh air.

Once the next round of Wartime Miniatures 28mm Australians are released, I'll certainly be getting my 'Mud over Bloods' immediately.

(After which it will be on to the "Ghost Btn" - US 2 btn/ 126th Infantry, 32nd Div, aka "Les Terribles", who took 66% casualties advancing across the Kapa Kapa Trail despite not encountering any actual Japanese along the way, due to hopelessly inadequate training and strategic leadership. And then the 5th Sasebo SNLF of Milne Bay notoriety and the 2 Ha-Gos which comprised all of Japan's armour in that campaign year, because you have to love how their loss at Milne Bay was put down to their being too old to fight with the appropriate martial spirit.)