Milne Bay Delaying Action

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

mluther

Milne Bay Delaying Action

Post by mluther »

This was a 20mm CoC game played last month that was based on the Aussie following up the Japanese retreat after their failed assault on the Milne Bay airfields. It was a modified Delaying Action scenario with the 2 Japanese players each having a weakened platoon and a MMG team. The 2 Aussies had regular Commonwealth platoons. Excellent defensive positioning by the Japanese players and the 2" mortar's smoke dissipating too quickly ensured a Japanese victory.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/6mmgaming ... 441280924/

Mark
Capt Fortier

Re: Milne Bay Delaying Action

Post by Capt Fortier »

That is a brilliant looking table as always. From the terrain and the description, it looked like a very difficult task for the attackers.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
mluther

Post by mluther »

It was, but we were really stopped from crossing the open because the Japanese player kept getting enough CoC dice to end the turn and our smoke cover. And the Japanese players did a good job setting up their defensive positions.
Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

Great looking game. Tough area to attack across. Did the Aussies have any MMG support to suppress the SNLF? Is there a full battle report somewhere?

I've been fiddling with a ladder campaign for Milne Bay, as the size of the battles really lend themselves to Chain of Command. Including the two Type 95 Ha-Go is an issue. Currently using a random bog roll between games that increase as the campaign goes on.
Cheers,
Len
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Len Tracey wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:59 am I've been fiddling with a ladder campaign for Milne Bay, as the size of the battles really lend themselves to Chain of Command. Including the two Type 95 Ha-Go is an issue. Currently using a random bog roll between games that increase as the campaign goes on.
Cheers,
Len
Sorry Len, but it took me a while to figure out that this was not a reference to your not having sufficient models and resorting to using a roll of toilet paper to represent the two Type 95 Ha-Go... and couldn't for the life of me work out why it would have to be random and why it would increase...
:roll: :lol:

When my brain kicked into the appropriate gear, I thought that would be a campaign worth seeing - ready made for LardMag?
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
mluther

Post by mluther »

Just saw these replies and the trick to seeing the AAR is to click on the pics and read the full captions. The Aussies were in pursuit and without any support in the meeting engagement. MMGs in the following unit.
Milne Bay would be an excellent PSC.
Mark
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Yup is on my want to do one day list of PSC's
Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

G'day CAPT Fortier,
Hadn't looked at it that way. Random bog rolls were a serious issue during COVID lock down, so I suppose I need to be careful.
The things you learn through wargaming, heh.
Cheers