IABSM: Izdeshkovo (3rd time!)

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Vis Bellica

IABSM: Izdeshkovo (3rd time!)

Post by Vis Bellica »

I’ve decided to play through the Vyazma or Bust! early war eastern front campaign with K., Daughter #1’s boyfriend, trapped with us for the duration but now an avid wargamer. I was looking forward to this game, especially as K. had been happy to let me have the Soviets.

Unfortunately, it was to be one of those games where the dice gods had utterly deserted me: even K., nascent gamer that he is, commented on the fact that I couldn’t roll a five or six to save my life: he even mentioned it later when I rolled double six whilst playing Monopoly (I won that one at least, bankrupting K. in the process!).

Click on the link below to see my humiliation!

https://www.vislardica.com/iabsm-aar/vy ... y-may-2020

CarlL

Re: IABSM: Izdeshkovo (3rd time!)

Post by CarlL »

Robert / vis bellica,
lovely photo report and narrative of your game. Other than wicked dice throws how do the mechanics of IABSM impact on game?
I am familiar with use of blanks from ITLSU, but as a newbie to most things Lardie, I wondered how your opponent had picked up rules; and how the rule concepts structure the game as you narrated it?
CarlL

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica »

Hi Carl
K picked up the rules very quickly. Once you have the concept of Actions understood, everything else is really just a matter of common sense (e.g. don't get caught in the open if you're going to be shot at) and a bit of technical knowledge (this tank is stronger than that tank in terms of gun, but weaker in terms of armour).
The narrative builds easily because of the way activation works. The unit by unit card-based system is better than IGOUGO for that. I take loads of photographs during the game but not in a time-consuming way: I just plonk the camera down and click away. I then download all the photos in order and work my way through them all writing down what is happening.
Hope that helps
Cheers
R

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

R,
Sounds that "activation" is a bit like the card driven system in ITLSU?
But as I am not familiar with IABSM, its just a guess.
Can you describe this part more in your game?
Carl

Munin

Post by Munin »

Maybe it's just my broken brain, but every time I see "Daughter #1's boyfriend" I read it as "Daughter's #1 boyfriend," and I think to myself, man, that must be hell on the self-esteem of her second and third boyfriends. :)