Gembloux Gap campaign

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

BaronVonWreckedoften

Re: Gembloux Gap campaign (updated 05 10 19)

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Tough crowd in tonight, MLB.....
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I'm here all week, try the veal.....and don't forget to tip your waitress 😋
BaronVonWreckedoften

I think they prefer to remain upright.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Boom-tish!!
DougM

Post by DougM »

Tough campaign for 'the Boche', you really can't afford to be held up in Scenario 1 for very long. A cynical part of me thinks that as German commander you have one game to try and inflict as many casualties as possible, regardless of loss, and bring in a replacement platoon.

One thing I notice, is that in the BK supplement, German platoons of the period have 4 squads, but you only get three for the campaign?
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
BaronVonWreckedoften

I think the problem here is one of perception. These Gembloux re-fights (both Rich's/Nick's and MLB's) occur over four actual days of game-playing, interspersed with days when "real life" takes over, which makes the whole process seem like a long time. In game terms, what we've seen in each case is four separate assaults, each representing an hour - give or take - of actual fighting; so about half of one "fighting day". So talk of being "held up" or "what the Germans would have done by now is....." are not really relevant. Yet.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

That is a very salient observation Baron - the real time sense of a campaign is easy to forget and hard to demonstrate or describe given the way nearly all of us tend to write up these encounters (game by game rather than at the end of the campaign); and lets not forget that in fact there were German companies' experiencing exactly these kinds of short tactical setbacks in exactly this way in this place - so I'd say its a sign that the campaign design is bang-on!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
DougM

Post by DougM »

It may be true that the time scale is much compressed from our perception, but th ecampaign rules impose a strict time limit on how many times you can fail and still 'win' the campaign. I think it's 10 turns to complete 6 stages, so if you fail 5 times at the first hurdle, you can't afford to lose any more.
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Doug,
The 3 squads in the German platoon is correct. You are fielding Schutzen platoons which only have 3 squads, see page 97 of the Blitzkreig 1940 supplement.
A regular German Heer platoon would have 4 squads as you say but they aren't involved.

John
MLB

Post by MLB »

No one rush off to Turkey just yet with your fake passports, I've still got AARs to post about the Gembloux campaign!

So, the Germans make their fifth attempt to take Perbais. This is their last chance before time slips away as will any chance of a campaign victory. Surely we can take this campaign beyond the first table? The AAR is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... at_19.html
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top