Gembloux Gap campaign

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

Re: Gembloux Gap campaign (updated 31 10 19)

Post by MLB »

And here's a picture

The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
poiter50

Re: Gembloux Gap campaign (updated 06 01 20)

Post by poiter50 »

And a great looking (and sounding) game as well. Playing this in 3 weeks as our campaign in the west continues.
7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

Ahh... the AARs are back! :)

Great stuff as always. That Handgranaten-asault really decided the battle! At the beginning I was really worried for the Germans who had to cover so much empty space to get to the village.
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Well played. Had the French not lost their last two morale points from the turn end, I suspect that the following phase would have seen you wipe out the 75mm gun crew and capture that, too, which I would surely have done for them. Once again, it is interesting to compare your table (in 20mm) with Rich and Nick's 28mm version - it looks like there is a lot more ground to cover on yours.

Villeroux sounds like a house-bound marsupial.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Another great installment and worth the wait - would love to have seen your armoured cars on the road but great to see good old fashioned assault with their bombs and their guns carry the day.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
MLB

Post by MLB »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:25 am Well played. Had the French not lost their last two morale points from the turn end, I suspect that the following phase would have seen you wipe out the 75mm gun crew and capture that, too, which I would surely have done for them. Once again, it is interesting to compare your table (in 20mm) with Rich and Nick's 28mm version - it looks like there is a lot more ground to cover on yours.

Villeroux sounds like a house-bound marsupial.
That was my thinking. I knew taking the jump-off-point would bring his morale down to at least 1, which would have really limited his options. The 75 has a narrow arc of fire and requires a full phase to turn, so I had a decent chance of doing it some harm. I think the biggest error made by Dave was deploying the platoon Lieutenant in an isolated position. Had he deployed the Escouade de Fusiliers Motocycliste alongside him instead of in the building by the gun I wouldn’t have been able to pull off the close assault. It’s easy to think I was just lucky and benefited from a double phase, but that could have been made much more difficult with another French unit present.
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

Capt Fortier wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:58 am Another great installment and worth the wait - would love to have seen your armoured cars on the road but great to see good old fashioned assault with their bombs and their guns carry the day.
Yes indeed. In fact it’s quite rare to have two AFVs as support and win the scenario without ever needing to deploy them. We did it old school (mind you, with a little bit of help from some Stukas).
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

7dot62mm wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:21 am Ahh... the AARs are back! :)

Great stuff as always. That Handgranaten-asault really decided the battle! At the beginning I was really worried for the Germans who had to cover so much empty space to get to the village.
Yes, once the 75 appeared and he had units in the buildings I had a horrible feeling this would be too big an ask. Nothing like getting stuck in with grenades and bayonets to win the day.
The Tactical Painter
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

MLB wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:05 am
Nothing like getting stuck in with grenades and bayonets to win the day.
👍👍👍
DougM

Post by DougM »

Knowing I might have to husband my resources for next game, I am always reluctant to get stuck in with bomb and bayonet. Crippling casualties are often the result. You wonder about the thoughts of commanders ordering them, knowing a lot of lives would be lost.

Another great game report .
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------