Gembloux Gap campaign

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

BasinisBACK

Re: Gembloux Gap campaign (updated 09 02 20)

Post by BasinisBACK »

Another absolute nail-biter! Fortune favouring first one side then the other! And very well-written and photographed too. I'm intensely excited to see the effect of such crippling casualties on future campaign decisions, as well as what the French choose to do with their breathing room.

I think your reports highlight the key issues about the recent Chain of Command debates online: with a good hand of dice and a little bad luck from the opponent, it is entirely possible to win a game without firing a shot, but in the framework of a pint-size campaign there are enough dice rolls for the odds to average out and so they end up very well balanced. The added bonus of the PSC is that, with the threat of permanent losses that can nix your chances in future scenarios, retreat becomes a viable and even satisfying option.

Of course, this is no help for people who don't have regular opponents with whom they can play 11 games back-to-back and who have to hope for a lucky double phase or turn end.
MLB

Post by MLB »

The campaign begins to draw towards its climax. French success in the last game has inspired a local counter attack. If they can push the Germans back to Map 3 then they have the chance to win a major campaign victory in the final game. But can the French do it? Full AAR here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... ck-at.html
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
MLB

Post by MLB »

And the obligatory picture (tanks too!)

The Tactical Painter
gilliessim

Re: Gembloux Gap campaign (updated 17 02 20)

Post by gilliessim »

Quite the armoured duelling! Another exciting installment. Always a pleasure to read.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Fascinating to see a mostly armoured affair with the PBI keeping their heads down (or maybe earning a well-earned rest), but as always the same excellent narrative pace and arc - always a gripping read that gives us a great sense of the tension around the table; and always your generous and valuable insights.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Iain F

Post by Iain F »

Completely agree with the good Capitan above.

Always top notch.
nicholascaldwell

Post by nicholascaldwell »

Agree with the 2 comments above and I'll go so far as to say that if you started a Patreon account I'd subscribe to keep these lovely reports coming! You really capture the action so well and reading your analysis is like being there for the post-game chat. Reminds me of reading the tactical vignettes in Macksey's _Battle_.
MLB

Post by MLB »

Well, thanks everyone for those very generous comments. I’m working on the next AAR at the moment and it’s always good to know the effort is enjoyed and appreciated. I find writing them much like re-living the game, not only that, it also makes me reflect on what happened, rules that I might have missed and things that I could have done better. Happy to share all that with everyone else.
The Tactical Painter
DougM

Post by DougM »

Agree with all the above comments. I tried to take pictures of our game today, and it does soak up time and effort.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------
MLB

Post by MLB »

So, the campaign comes down to the wire. If the French can win this next game then they earn a narrow campaign victory. This has been a tough slog for my Germans but can they deny the French that victory right at the final game? It's all to play for. The full AAR is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... d-two.html
The Tactical Painter