There Are Many Rivers to Cross AARs

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Joe Neg

There Are Many Rivers to Cross AARs

Post by Joe Neg » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:12 pm

Just posted an AAR for game 3 - Return to Pierrecourt - in the There Are Many Rivers to Cross PSC from the Lard mag. You can find it in the files section of the Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1444501242432741/files/

Played Big Chain of Command style with 2 platoons per side - this was the longest and most intense game to date...a real nail-biter at the end. Take a look if interested...

Games 1 (Hasty Defense at Pierrecourt) and 2 (Counterattack at Moulin du Pont) are also there.

Cheers

BaronVonWreckedoften

Re: There Are Many Rivers to Cross AARs

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:33 am

Just read all three in one sitting - tremendous games.

Interesting how often the French win these platoon-level games, as opposed to what happened in real life.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Joe Neg

Post by Joe Neg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks, Baron. They were fascinating to play...game 4 cued up...Germans attempting a different strategy.

My research indicates that the outcomes we see at the platoon level are pretty accurate. The French fought tenaciously on the defense, when the Germans chose to play the game the way the French wanted. Rich and Nick's Gembloux Gap videos are fine examples.

However, more often than not, the Germans - when faced with such a defense - would pummel it with artillery and air, infiltrate around the position, and/or by pass it altogether and let follow on elements blockade them. German movement doctrine defeated linear French defensive thinking - at the grand tactical and strategic level.

That said, tremendous games and the campaign format really makes C o C shine...love the narrative aspect of developing and following the characters...really brings the games to life for me.

Joe Neg

Post by Joe Neg » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:22 pm

Game 4 AAR now up in the Facebook files section. 4th Game in the "There Are Many Rivers to Cross" campaign - Third Attempt at Pierrecourt. Can a fresh German force breakthrough the French defenses? Great game, surprising outcome.

As a relative newbie to the rules, I do like how they support a good plan and sound execution (or punish bad plans and tactics). Hop on over if interested, hope you enjoy...

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:55 am

Would love to have a read but don't do facebook - don't suppose its on an open group or blog anywhere?

Joe Neg

Post by Joe Neg » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:48 pm

TT,

I'm a dinosaur and not savvy or motivated enough to do a blog. Reports are in a pdf format...send me a PM with your email and I can attach, or let me know if you follow the Yahoo group and I can add them to the files section there. Cheers

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:20 pm

Thanks for that Joe - excellent AAR's - reminds me of reading Commando comics as a kid!

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:22 am

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:20 pm
.....reminds me of reading Commando comics as a kid!
This. Now, if you could just work The Wolf of Kabul and Chung, with Clicky-Ba obviously, into one of the AARs.....
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Joe Neg

Re: There Are Many Rivers to Cross AARs (updated 9 Aug 2019)

Post by Joe Neg » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:45 pm

1940 fans...

Just uploaded campaign game 5 of the Many Rivers to Cross PSC to the files section of the Facebook Group (See link above). Swift to Support scenario sees the French without any support until turn 2. Germans have a few issues of their own. Take a look if interested...