False Start at Vizzarri Farm - 1943 Larino Campaign Game 1

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Capt Fortier

False Start at Vizzarri Farm - 1943 Larino Campaign Game 1

Post by Capt Fortier » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:55 pm

Finally have had a chance to play-test the first scenario of my 1943 Larino campaign: False Start at Vizzarri Farm. I think the campaign held up far better than my game play; more aggressive play on my part would probably have put it (the campaign) more to the test. As I withdrew, I'll have to refight it, which will give us another go at testing. Also not enough photos, but hopefully the description is helpful. Next time I'll remember to take more. As always, interested in any feedback.

Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

MLB

Re: False Start at Vizzarri Farm - 1943 Larino Campaign Game 1

Post by MLB » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:13 am

Reading the AAR I couldn’t help recalling our conversation at Wintercon about timing of deployment. Looks as though you have swung from too hasty deployment to too slow deployment! That said you were a little unlucky that your opponent really caught you out with the double phase. It’s never an easy one to judge.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:58 am

MLB wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:13 am
Looks as though you have swung from too hasty deployment to too slow deployment!
I need to tap into my inner Goldilocks to find the "just right"! So saying, I think two other factors were at play:
  • I was a bit too fixed in my view about what command roll I wanted to be able to deploy and didn't adjust that thinking even when the situation was getting worse (so even a poor move was likely better than no move)
  • I was convinced that carriers deployed close to the enemy would be too easy targets - notwithstanding I knew he had little anti-tank support (only Panzerfaust30s) - but in fact the carriers proved to be much tougher than I thought!
Still, it is a great game for learning on the job - albeit mostly lessons for the next game. Mmmm... sounds a bit like "Generals always fight the last war"
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:14 am

yes! The Goldilocks Deployment! A new term! :)