Sharp Practice AWI at Cold Wars

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

e.bowen

Sharp Practice AWI at Cold Wars

Post by e.bowen »

I wrote an AAR of my AWI game at Cold Wars - A Cow! A Cow! My Kingdom for a Cow!. Here is the link to my blog:https://minysoldiers.blogspot.com

Jfuller39

Re: Sharp Practice AWI at Cold Wars

Post by Jfuller39 »

Great report. Looks a cracking game! As a Bostonian who grew up on the edge of the Green every Patriots Day, I sometimes forget the other interesting skirmishes during the Siege of Boston. Great use of the events (even loosely) for an engaging scenario.

e.bowen

Post by e.bowen »

Thank you!

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Interesting scenario - excellent adaptation, well done. I'm familiar with the Lechmere Point action, having written the Osprey Campaign on Boston. I know you are well read on the AWI and wondered if you knew of the similar action at Spencer's Ordinary in 1781, which involved Simcoe and the QRs, Ewald, and a herd of cattle being driven back to British lines by a newly-raised Loyalist unit? I put this on as a game in the old Portrait Gallery at the National Army Museum, London, back in the early 2000s (pre-SP1), and we got to talk to a lot of American tourists who were fascinated that almost all of the participants (bar Simcoe and about 50 jaeger) were Americans, and that the CO of the "cowboys" was probably the only man on the battlefield wearing a red coat.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

e.bowen

Post by e.bowen »

I was not familiar with that action. Thanks for pointing it out - it looks like it would make a great SP game. I am going to research this some more; with the tavern and the mix of troops it would make a very interesting scenario. I love the AWI period and there are so many interesting small actions that lend themselves well to wargaming.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

PM sent - I wrote a British Grenadier scenario for this (SBook 2); I suspect that if you replace the 1:5 ratio units with standard SP2 units, you would have a very good game on your hands.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.