SP2: Spanish Mini-Campaign

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

spqrdave

SP2: Spanish Mini-Campaign

Post by spqrdave »

I've been posting my AARs on the Sharp Practice board of an ongoing SP2 campaign set in the Spanish Peninsula. We're having a blast with this campaign and you can see the latest (and all) AARs here:

https://spqrdave.blogspot.com/p/sharp-p ... ign-2.html

Capt Fortier

Re: SP2: Spanish Mini-Campaign

Post by Capt Fortier »

Very much enjoying following the ebb and flow of this campaign. Your observations along the way also v insightful!
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

spqrdave

Post by spqrdave »

Another glorious victory for French arms in the Spanish Peninsula! We gathered this past Friday to consummate another battle in our ongoing Spanish mini-campaign, the Third Battle of Gelsa:

https://spqrdave.blogspot.com/2019/03/s ... le-of.html

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Thanks again for sharing this ongoing campaign - great to see it unfolding. Its a bold (maybe rash?) move for cavalry to charge in against a largely untouched infantry unit's front. Did your opponent share what his thinking was here? Wishful thinking?
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Munin

Post by Munin »

Yeah, with impact cavalry that might have worked. But with dragoons? Maybe he expected your Legere to give ground to avoid the charge?

spqrdave

Post by spqrdave »

Capt Fortier wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:48 am
Thanks again for sharing this ongoing campaign - great to see it unfolding. Its a bold (maybe rash?) move for cavalry to charge in against a largely untouched infantry unit's front. Did your opponent share what his thinking was here? Wishful thinking?
Not to speak for him (but apparently I am anyway), I think "wishful thinking" is accurate. He may have been hoping to survive the initial volley without too much damage and then charge in before they could reload. But this wasn't a realistic hope, I think.
Munin wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:26 pm
Yeah, with impact cavalry that might have worked. But with dragoons? Maybe he expected your Legere to give ground to avoid the charge?
I think that once he had committed to the flanking sweep with the cavalry, and ended up in the infantry formation's field of fire, he thought he might as well try the charge. If he had tried to outflank or retire with the cavalry, they would have received at least one volley anyway.

To be fair, neither of us have quite grasped how to use cavalry in skirmish games. Perhaps it's a residual effect of so many years playing large-scale Napoleonic games with sweeping cavalry movements and charges.

Munin

Post by Munin »

I think much depends on the cavalry in question. A timely charge by heavy impact cavalry like Cuirassiers against a unit that is already wavering can cause serious damage. Similarly, cavalry charging in such a way as to contact only part of a much larger Formation can peel off Groups and thus drastically lessen their firepower. But charging a fresh formation of line-infantry is almost always a bad idea.

For scouting cavalry or dragoons, the ability to quickly get into a position where you can dismount and provide enfilading fire can be handy, but is extremely dependent upon the terrain. An "end-around" stab at an opponent's primary Deployment Point is also sometimes worth doing, but is most useful against an enemy that is forced into moving/attacking, as a defender is likely to be more or less camped on their DP and have units on hand able to easily fend off such a move.

spqrdave

Post by spqrdave »

Munin wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:57 pm
I think much depends on the cavalry in question. A timely charge by heavy impact cavalry like Cuirassiers against a unit that is already wavering can cause serious damage. Similarly, cavalry charging in such a way as to contact only part of a much larger Formation can peel off Groups and thus drastically lessen their firepower. But charging a fresh formation of line-infantry is almost always a bad idea.

For scouting cavalry or dragoons, the ability to quickly get into a position where you can dismount and provide enfilading fire can be handy, but is extremely dependent upon the terrain. An "end-around" stab at an opponent's primary Deployment Point is also sometimes worth doing, but is most useful against an enemy that is forced into moving/attacking, as a defender is likely to be more or less camped on their DP and have units on hand able to easily fend off such a move.
I agree with all of that. In fact, in the the last couple of campaign games, I've had a Battle Cavalry unit in my force that didn't deploy in either game. I find I can cover most situations with infantry but it's comforting to know I have a cavalry unit in reserve that can plug a hole or exploit an enemy weakness.

bloodysword

Post by bloodysword »

Great campaign! How did you make the Campaign map?

spqrdave

Post by spqrdave »

bloodysword wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:39 pm
Great campaign! How did you make the Campaign map?
This map is only a small portion of an entire map of the peninsula, which is itself only one of many (15 or more?) that I scoffed off the interwebs many years ago. I’ll take a look and see if I can find the original site. I put the image into PowerPoint and overlaid it with various images (such as the flag icons) that can be easily dragged around. You can even use layers in PP like Photoshop.

Edit: found it!

http://web.archive.org/web/20110429171 ... /maps.htm