Highway Seven Anzio bridgehead 6mm IABSM game

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

mluther

Highway Seven Anzio bridgehead 6mm IABSM game

Post by mluther »

Thought it would be nice to do a game with US troops for Veterans Day (Nov 11), and since I had no US 6mm minis Jon would bring his long hibernating 6mm Americans. So I stole another scenario off of Rob Avery's Vis Lardica site that would be a simple set up. For variety I wanted a game that was in Italy so the Highway 7 scenario from the Anzio pack looked good.
The action takes place on January 31, 1944 with units of the US 3rd Div trying to expand the Anzio beachead out through the dug in Herman Goering Pz Div.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/6mmgaming ... 0185498434

Mark

MLB

Re: Highway Seven Anzio bridgehead 6mm IABSM game

Post by MLB »

Another great looking table and game. I love the way this scale and the way you create your tables creates such a great sense of space and the ‘empty battlefield’.

I’ve played IABSM only once and enjoyed it but more recently I’ve been playing O Group. Have you used those rules yet? I’d be interested in your comparison between the two. I know they are not quite the same, one company and the other battalion but they’re close.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

mluther

Post by mluther »

I have not tried O Group. I generally am not a fan of that scale of WWII, so I will probably not give them a go.
IABSM checks my boxes for WWII company level gaming and it works so well in 6mm.

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Agree about the table - you always create such great panoramic views and this is no exception - interesting game too, and tough for both sides - those kinds of games usually leave both sides satisfied about a fight well fought!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

djbamforduk

Post by djbamforduk »

Great stuff...! Please could you re-fight more of the scenarios from Robert Avery's Anzio supplement...?
P.S.
I think the Krauts might've had a bit more fight in them than you gave them credit for, because they were all equipped with Panzerfaust 30 according to Robert Avery's scenario notes. Surely they could've have made life difficult for the Shermans and M10s crossing that bridge, especially as the Yanks only had one platoon still intact for infantry support...?

mluther

Post by mluther »

You are correct. The thing is that I do not have this scenario book, so was working from the AAR on the Vis Lardica site. And our game time was up for all practical purposes.
Mark

mluther

Post by mluther »

All of Robs book are fantastic and have detailed TOEs and tons of background info. Any error is due entirely to my cheapass attempt to steal the scenario from his AAR listings