The American Civil War and my Imagination

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

GunnarL

The American Civil War and my Imagination

Post by GunnarL » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:54 pm

So, first off, I've been slowly working on some Union forces for SP2 in the ACW. Right now, the plan is for five groups of line infantry, two groups of skirmishers, a gun, and two units of cavalry. So far, I have eight of the twelve skirmishers done, with the final four skirmishers about halfway finished. The Perry plastics paint up extremely quickly, but they can be a real drag cleaning and assembling with how delicate they are. I've found that cleaning on the sprue is often best.

Along with them I've started on some forces for a ACW era imaginations force. The two forces planned will likely both be fake German duchies or kingdoms, similar to Ruritania, but I'm also tempted to do fake nations in South America. Maybe I could combine the two?

Anyway, here are the pics!

Munin

Re: The American Civil War and my Imagination

Post by Munin » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:37 am

I like the way these are turning out. Have you given any thought to how you'll do the Confederates yet?

Ari Marsson

Post by Ari Marsson » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:16 pm

Even sticking with the War between the States there are plenty of options for 'imagination' style expansions...

There is the 'what if' of the British Intervention Force in Canada in 1861/62, for which Perry's make figures.

If Britain HAD declared war in the Union, then France would likely also have come in on the side of the Confederacy.
The downside is that Russia and Prussia would probably have declared for the Union - although there are two uneasy allies...

Just imagine the scenario's these could lead to: Russia enters through Alaska, which was Russian territory until 1867 after all, and heads down the West Coast/Mid-West; Britain invades from Canada into New York State; France lands in the Gulf of Mexico states; the whole naval blockade of the South takes a different turn; Prussia has to get troops across the Atlantic somehow, or start another European war in support of the Union against France and Britain...

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:25 pm

As to the Confederates, they will mostly be straight out of the box Perry Confederate plastics, with a smattering of Union skirmishers mixed in with Confederate poses for the Confederate skirmishers. As to the opponents of the Jaegers, I'll probably go with Confederate bodies and heads from another source, maybe Perry Austrian helmets, I haven't decided quite yet, but I like the helmets and want to see some units wearing them.

Alternate history ACW stuff is also very interesting to me, just for fun really. I'll likely be picking up the BIF from the Perry's for both this and maybe Fenian raids in the future, as well as any random colonial encounters.

The possibilities are really endless, as you described!

Ari Marsson

Post by Ari Marsson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:47 pm

The Perry's BIF figures are very nice. I'm doing a Sharp Practice 2 force in them to face some Yankee scum Militia and garrison troops...

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:23 pm

They look fantastic, I'm perusing your blog as we speak!

jdg

Post by jdg » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:00 am

You also might consider a post Civil War US invasion of Mexico to drive out the French forces propping up Maximilian. It could have happened, after the South's surrender Philip Sheridan was sent to Texas with a 50,000 man army to patrol the border and put pressure on the French to give up on keeping Maximilian in power.

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:28 am

I haven't had too much time for painting, but I've had a few hours over the last couple weeks, due to being in the middle of a move. So far, I've finished all twelve skirmishers for my Union ACW force. More on the blog. War to End All Blogs

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Here is the first of two groups of my Jaegers in service to the Duke of Schmalz. Drawn from the best marksmen and hunters in the line infantry, they are the elite soldiers of the Schmalzer military, with greater training, motivation, and moustaches. They are equipped with the same cut of uniform as the rest of the army, but their green and gray uniforms were specifically chosen to assist with blending into the scenery of the Black Forest, allowing them to act as excellent scouts and ambushers.

Apologies for the crap pictures, I'll hopefully get some better ones in the next couple days.

More blathering can be found on the blog: https://wartoendallblogs.blogspot.com/2 ... egers.html

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:03 pm

These are the first four of the line infantry for the Duchy of Schmalz. With their rifled muskets and steadfast spirit, these men represent the strong backbone of the Duke's army. While resplendent in their blue uniforms and golden-plumed helmets, they are also well-trained and well-led, which will be necessary when facing the Kasekopfers, who sacrifice their skill for uncontrolled aggression.

As always, more on the blog: https://wartoendallblogs.blogspot.com/2 ... -duke.html