Basecoating in a basement?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

EvilGinger

Re: Basecoating in a basement?

Post by EvilGinger »

brush applied base coats and primers -

Best primer for metal figures only
Humbrol Grey metal primer - dries a light grey can be thinned with white spirit or similar covers well & as its a n oil based paint there is not fuss with oily mould release or greasy finger marks.

Best Black or white under coat/primer Miniature paints acrylic primer works on plastics metals & resin thin with a little Tamyia A20 thinners or isopropyle alcohol to deal with any residual oiliness on the figure.

Use a large soft brush Size 6 squirrel hair is my favourite, but a large cheap Sable brush works as well & make sure the figures are at least on temporary base's & don't get worked up with getting your fingers & hands covered in paint

Don't paint when the Ambient temperature is below zero as the paints will go off very very slowly if at all.

:evil:Ginger
Dark lord at large....

blooddave

Post by blooddave »

Here is where I gloat that I live in Southern California, and the number of days per year when I can't go into the backyard to spray is very small.

On the other hand, no basements to be found. I miss basements. (I grew up in the midwest, where everyone has a basement)

RichardD

Post by RichardD »

The building we just moved from had a great garage, perfect for spraying.

The new house has a musty basement that my wife is scared of. I may need to spend more time down there

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger »

That's mean & its not the basement or cellar that's scary its the stairs in some of them.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

RichardD

Post by RichardD »

SteveBurt wrote: I use artist's acrylic from a tube. Brush on thinly. This shrinks slightly on drying to form a nice coat; works well on metal or plastic.
Steve, would something like Windsor and Newton artists' acrylics work?

I have quite a selection already, I'd prefer to avoid something needing thinner or turps

Rich

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt »

Yes, W&N would be fine. I usually use Liquitex, but any good acrylic will do.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger »

The miniature Paints primers are your best bet as they will actually key into shiny pewter alloy models and Can be thinned with water. I may drop you some in the post see if you like them. They also work rather well as substitutes for black or white acrylic paint to boot.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

gweirda

Post by gweirda »

Musty basements are your friend...here's my creepy gaming area(adjacent to the cistern) http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk11 ... bleone.jpg and http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk11 ... bletwo.jpg , and the workspace http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk11 ... kspace.jpg

All you need is a good dehumidifier (or two). ; )

PS- most petro-based solvents (fumes) are heavier than air...

PPS- cigars (or pipes, in a pinch) help ... ; )

RichardD

Post by RichardD »

Thanks chaps. I have a few minis that I did manage to spray when it was still warm and even more to assemble so I shouldnt be bored at least

Cory

Post by Cory »

I'm getting ready to spray basecoat several figures this morning.

As it is only 7 degrees Fahrenheit out my current solution is to spray in a large cardboard box in the yard. To keep the box warm while the paint dries (and wife bothering fumes go away) I am warming up a pan of large rocks in the oven that I'll put in the bottom.