Basecoating in a basement?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

RichardD

Basecoating in a basement?

Post by RichardD »

We've just moved from a flat into a house, which has a (spooky) basement. Now that it's getting colder is it viable or incredibly stupid to spray base coats in the basement?

It's not particularly well ventilated, but then again it's not in the house, but I guess some of the fumes may go up into the ground floor although it seems quite well sealed.

Good idea? Horrifically stupid?

jafo

Re: Basecoating in a basement?

Post by jafo »

It's the 'fumes in an enclosed space' aspect of this that has me wincing. I wouldn't if I were you.

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt »

It's also not a good idea to spray in cold weather.
I find sprays a hassle (can't use when cold, when hot, when damp, when indoors, when windy, don't cover properly, can clogs and ends up being discarded).
Switched to brush-on primer and life is so much simpler. I can prime when I want, and the figure always gets properly covered.

RichardD

Post by RichardD »

I think common sense wins this round.

Any recommendations for brush-on primer? I tend to prime either black or white depending on the final colours

Rich

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica »

I spray in the garage, and only don't do so if its (a) raining or (b) cold enough to see my breath. Never had any problems so far!

dalemunk

Post by dalemunk »

RichardD wrote:I think common sense wins this round.

Any recommendations for brush-on primer? I tend to prime either black or white depending on the final colours

Rich
I use thinned down Humbrol Matt Black Enamel for first primer, thinned down about 30-40% with thinner. It also seems to help to disperse any mould release agent etc... so it lets me skip washing the figures.

After that I tend to paint on a slightly thinned black acyrlic (I use Vallejo) or GW grey primer, depending on what I'm painting.

Cheers
Koen

siggian

Post by siggian »

I just finished spraying a batch of GHQ in my garage before winter shuts me down. I should have enough to last the winter.

My "rules" for spraying are:
* Only when it is 6 degrees Celsius or higher. If it is that cold, I make sure that the paint is indoors for a few hours before spraying. I also keep the can in my hand throughout to try and keep the paint as warm as possible
* Open the garage door when spraying
* No rain (light drizzle is fine as long as there is no wind and I paint a bit further back in the garage)
* Spray during daylight so that I can see what I'm doing

I've not had any problems

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I bought a "paint booth", a 18" x 9" open-ended box with an exhaust blower on it. New on eBay for around $100usd I use it a lot, even with a grandkid with asthma in the house, without incident.

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt »

RichardD wrote:I think common sense wins this round.

Rich
I use artist's acrylic from a tube. Brush on thinly. This shrinks slightly on drying to form a nice coat; works well on metal or plastic.

NTM

Post by NTM »

I use Vallejo Polyeruthane Primer in grey but pretty sure it's also available in white & black (can also be used in an airbrush). Previously used various Metal and Multi Purpose Quick Drying Primer/Undercoats from DIY stores.