15mm MDF kits

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

acctingman

15mm MDF kits

Post by acctingman »

Just curious to know what MDF buildings you all use?

I'm looking at 4Ground but I've read that even though they are pre-painted you still have to texture/paint them up to get them looking nice.

I know there are other brands out there that have received great reviews (Sarissa, Warbases in particular)but these require painting and some touch up.

So, for the money, which kits do you prefer?

Thank you

agent_pumpkin

Re: 15mm MDF kits

Post by agent_pumpkin »

It depends which theatre/period/genre your after.

For WW2 Eastern Front I think 4ground are my current favourites. I've not painted/textured them and they look perfect for my battlefields.

For Napoleonic Peninsular I have not yet found any that are suitable. :(

I do have Warbases and Sarissa in 28mm. (I think for Sarissa many of there 28mm models are also available in 15mm.) These are great models, but most that I have, do need at least a coat of paint to make them look their best.
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Peter

Post by Peter »

I'm happy with 4Ground pre-painted, but if you want a really good battlefield you would need to do some work on them. For me - more than good enough.

Peter

Seret

Post by Seret »

acctingman wrote: I'm looking at 4Ground but I've read that even though they are pre-painted you still have to texture/paint them up to get them looking nice.
You do. The finish on them is pretty mediocre, and if you use them as is you'll get dodgy corners and the table will look a bit like toy town as they'll all be in identical colours (both to each other and to every other table out there). If you're going to have to do a bit of work on them to get them up to speed I reckon it's best to save your money and start with a blank slate.

I use 28mm and go for Charlie Foxtrot, Timeline Miniatures, Warbases and Sarissa mostly. Only the ones I've linked to actually do 15mm, and Timeline's range looks pretty limited.

cstoesen

Post by cstoesen »

I like game craft Miniatures and Impudent mortal. Very flexible buildings. With a little work, they can be amazing.
Chris Stoesen
No matter where you go, there you are -- Buckaroo Banzai
Nil Facilis Est

acctingman

Post by acctingman »

Just got my Sarissa kits and they are amazing. I'll be sticking with them since I'm also enjoying the painting process too (Which I didn't think I would)