Far East British platoon for the Far East (the early years)

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

MLB

Re: Far East British platoon for the Far East (the early years)

Post by MLB »

The earlier post refers to 3rd Kings Own Hussars and their Vickers Mkvi. The regimental history on Wikipedia says:

The 3rd The King's Own Hussars was brigaded with the 4th Hussars in the 1st Armoured Brigade in 1939. After the fall of France, the 3rd The King's Own Hussars was shipped to North Africa and assigned to the 7th Armoured Brigade. The regiment served in the North African Campaign. In 1941, B Squadron was sent to Singapore as reinforcements, but with the fall of Singapore, it was diverted to Java where, after a brief fight, it was ordered to surrender and the men spent the rest of the war as Prisoners of War.[71]
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

With regard to tanks, as far as I can determine no Stuarts were used in Malaya or Singapore. In fact, I haven't found any reports that mention tanks being committed at all, especially in the Malaya part where the front moved pretty quickly. The only armour I've come across mention of was Bren carriers and Lanchester armoured cars (there is some conjecture there was also Marmon-Herrington AC as well and that the two may have been confused in reports). If anyone has references to other armoured vehicles there, please let me know.
I believe the 7th Armoured Brigade was diverted to Burma and fought there with its Stuarts. I've read some reports of clashes with Japanese Type 95 tanks and Japanese Stuarts captured in the Philippines.
The Australians later used Stuarts in the coastal battles of Buna, Gona & Sanananda.
Cheers

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

That tallies with my research was looking for tanks on Malaya but found no evidence.

The initial defence of Burma certainly had tanks nut they were still unable to stop the Japanese advance.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

I have seen a pic of Marmon-Herrington AC and Lanchesters with Aussies as well as IP Carriers. This was from an earlier enquiry about the Lanchesters. I think the Marmon-Herrington AC may have run into a ditch and the IP carrier is alongside it.

i believe the Indian Recce units had the IP carriers and the Loyals had the Mk VIbs (although not many). The Aussies probably stole/appropriated any vehicles they found. The Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders had 6 Lanchesters which was reduced to 5 at some stage according to Moon Over Malaya which is a good read on their campaign.

Truscott Trotter

Truscott Trotter

and if you want to model the one solitary Churchill tank in Burma
http://www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaw ... -india.htm

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Interesting. The AC looks very similar to the Crossley AC. Hmm, more printing?

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

MLB wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:15 pm
I thought that might have been the case but I can find no evidence. The original plan for the defense of Singapore was based on air and sea power and a land war was not expected, so tanks may not have been considered a requirement. I have some kits of those tanks, so if I’d be happy to be shown otherwise.
I had a feeling that the VI's used in the early campaign had come from India (possibly a home-made/converted version?). That said, from what you have uncovered, it would appear not..... :(
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

MLB

Post by MLB »

You may have been thrown off by something like this from Wikipedia:

The tanks also saw limited service against the Japanese in Malaya.[citation needed]

However as you can see there is no citation and although they were sent to Singapore it appears they never got there and were diverted to Java as stated previously.

I’ve seen reference to the Mkiv in India but cannot find a reliable reference for the Mkvi.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Truscott Trotter

Saw an article on the MkVi's in Java if anyone is interested will see if I can find it again?