Japanese platoon for CoC

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

MLB

Japanese platoon for CoC

Post by MLB »

I've been putting together a Japanese force with Chain of Command in mind. I've already played the excellent Malaya 1942 campaign and now with a Far East Handbook in the offing I've been wanting to make sure I have all the elements I need to cover the actions of most of the theatre. I've condensed all I've done into a single blog post for those that are interested in seeing more and you can find that here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... mmand.html
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

MLB

Re: Japanese platoon for CoC

Post by MLB »

Some pictures:

MLB

Post by MLB »

genew49

Post by genew49 »

I am also using Eureka figures as my core unit. I like your concept of the “jungle” and will happily borrow it. The plastic figures will solve a number of crew issues; I’m glad they’re compatible. Your blog is great! I enjoyed reading it. Thanks.
Gene

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Excellent work!

I'm putting together a full, early war Japanese platoon using the 28mm Warlord plastic set and have one question - did all the squad leaders really go into action carrying swords as their principal weapon in the early war? I thought it was just the officer, maybe the platoon sergeant as well.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

MLB

Post by MLB »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:38 pm
Excellent work!

I'm putting together a full, early war Japanese platoon using the 28mm Warlord plastic set and have one question - did all the squad leaders really go into action carrying swords as their principal weapon in the early war? I thought it was just the officer, maybe the platoon sergeant as well.
I thought this also but began to dig further when I came across a picture of corporals with their swords. With close combat the ultimate goal of most infantry assaults it was expected that the NCOs would use their sword as their principal weapon, how this worked in practice is less clear as they were armed with rifles. Perhaps like their western counterparts their job was to lead and command rather than fire a personal weapon?

The Type 95 Shin Gunto (new sword) was issued right down to corporal. The quality of sword diminishes for NCOs as does the decoration. From my research:

‘Officers' ranks were indicated by coloured tassels tied to a loop at the end of the hilt. The corresponding colors were brown-red and gold for generals; brown and red for field officers; brown and blue for company or warrant officers; brown for sergeants, sergeants major or corporals. The blades found in shin guntō ranged from modern machine made blades through contemporary traditional’

BaronVonWreckedoften

Thanks for that (bugger - another command pack to buy!!! :lol: ).

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Nah I only have swords for SL my JL make do with rifles or SMG, also that way I can easily tell them apart.
But if you do want some Warlord plastic arms and swords I have a few left over? 😋

BaronVonWreckedoften

I was hoping to do what MLB has done, and have the squad leaders with rifle and sheathed sword (again, as you say, to distinguish them, with the SLs without "hoi-polloi" weapons), but I don't think anyone makes that sort of figure in 28mm, and almost all the swords/sword arms I've seen are right-handed. I'm loathe to put you to the trouble of posting them all the way from Dahn Undie, but just in case, do you have a photo you could PM me?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Sure photo of what.... dahn under?
There are.some sheathed swords on the sprue IIRC dunno if they are left or right handed but.picture should be.on Warlord site
If not will take piccie when I get drunk enough to go back into hobby room and start painting.