Patches of Snow

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Eclaireur

Patches of Snow

Post by Eclaireur »

Perhaps an odd one this ...

But I'm interested in doing spring (or autumn) games where there's been some snowfall but it's largely melted. Those familiar with the spring landscape in eastern Europe will know what I mean - you get patches of snow in the shady hollows, along roadsides or on the northern side of buildings. I'm gaming in 28mm.

I was thinking of making some lay on terrain to convert a my terrain to this season. Does anyone have any experience or inspiration? I wondered whether I might cut pieces of white velvet for the purpose. Or old towels? An what about the snow scatter supplied for basing, could that be used on some larger lay on pieces?
EC

siggian

Re: Patches of Snow

Post by siggian »

What about using white Styrofoam mounds and melt/seal them with a heat gun to represent these as snow?

The one thing I find about heavily melted snow is that it tends to look "dirty" with all kinds of bits on it, so I'd be wary about using pure white. Even non-melted snow rapidly loses that pristine look.

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur »

Thank you Siggian - and being a resident of British Columbia I suspect you see a lot more of the white stuff than I do! You're quite right about the dirtiness of it. There may be a way of using a rubbery substance rather than styrofoam as I would want it to conform to terrain. Got me thinking!, thanks again
EC

Jfuller39

Post by Jfuller39 »

I don’t know if you’ve ever tried them, but the Citadel Technical paints are really pretty good. They make a snow that could be applied over other textured bases. You could easily put more of it in shadowed areas (next to rocks or in the lee of scrub or grasses) and use some less over muddy ground to produce the “dirty” snow look.

I use the Citadel Technical Stirland Mud on a lot of models and with a wash and drybrush, comes out pretty good as mud. I haven’t tried the snow but I suspect it’s pretty similar. Wash the white snow with a gray or tan wash and you’d get dirty snow.

*edited for typos...hard to type on my phone

silverwhistle39

Post by silverwhistle39 »

EC, I would recommend cutting any fabric (this can be whatever material you have to hand) to whatever size you want and cover in white acrylic caulk.

This is what I use for making flexible terrain mats but it will work the same for smaller patches of ground if this is what you want to create.
WoodLand Scenics white snow mixed with PVA glue can be brushed on to whatever pieces of terrain and figure bases, vehicles that you desire and whilst still wet sprinkle more WS snow on top.

If you don't want permanent snow on your terrain you can use acetate cut to the shape of your roofs on your buildings fixed with a small piece of White Tack, paint PVA and WS snow mix on the acetate. Windowsills, door frames, top of fences etc can be covered in White Tack (same as Blue Tack) and then sprinkled in WS snow.
If you want to see examples of this then visit my blog wargaming with silver whistle, where you will find articles from my first book Setting The Scene Winter Wargaming.
I am currently working on terrain where there is some snowfall but not completely covered. This is in preparation for gaming the Norway 1940 - Road to Dombas campaign that was in Wargames Soldier and Strategy magazine issue 100.
Hope this helps.

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

Following this thread with interest, as I am interested in doing a soviet force during the muddy season.

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur »

jfuller39 and silverwihistle39
some excellent ideas there. by white acrylic caulk I assume you mean the type of stuff used for sealing bathroom tiles? DIY product is usually about 1/4 the cost of war-games scenic stuff so I will check it out - and your blog silver whistle.
EC

silverwhistle39

EC, Screwfix sell tubes of caulk £1 each or a dozen for a tenner.

Novista

Post by Novista »

Bicarbonate of soda mixed with PVA, however I have been told it yellows with time, mine hasn’t yet. I think it’s possible to seal with another layer of pva over the top. There are plenty of how to’s out there. Might be worth watching terrain tutor on you tube, just to get an angle on the process.
Edit. Didn’t read your full post, sorry, ignore the above.

silverwhistle39

Just updated my blog re this kind of terrain and also started a new thread, The Road to Dombas 1940.
Cheers,
Pat.