1/72 French minis for 1940 campaign — recommendations?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Contrarius

1/72 French minis for 1940 campaign — recommendations?

Post by Contrarius »

Am contemplating a French army of c.1940 — initially for Chain of Command — and wondered if anyone has recommendations for figures in 1/72 scale. I’d specifically like minis on the larger side of the 20mm—25mm spectrum, preferably in white metal, but I might settle for plastics.

In plastics the only decent figures seem to be by Caesar and Pegasus, though at 23mm scale the latter seem a tad on the small side.

Saw some wonderful looking white metal figs by Empress Miniatures on the TMP site but the Empress website no longer lists them in 1/72 scale. Anyone know what happened to them?

Cheers
:ugeek:

Truscott Trotter

Re: 1/72 French minis for 1940 campaign — recommendations?

Post by Truscott Trotter »

20mm on their site but no French - unless you are talking Indo-China?

genew49

Post by genew49 »

Check out Early War Miniatures. I don't know if they meet your size requirements.
You can search for Chain of Command within site and find some squad sized COC packs.
In addition to those there are other squad options under Infantry and Support Teams.
Single figures are also available so you can customize your own units as well as add team
members to support teams where needed to match COC crew numbers. You'll find everything
French here , way beyond infantry.
https://earlywarminiatures.com/product- ... ll-fronts/

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

Again, don’t know whether they will be large enough for you, but both Battlefield Miniatures (in their Blitz Range) and Lancer Miniatures offer 20mm French 1940 figures.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

@TT, looking just for mainland France at the moment. Those Empress 20mm figs really looked the business. Ho hum.

@sjwalker51 and @genew49 — thanks for tips. Will certainly look into them, though I know the Early War Minis are a bit on the small side for compatibility with my other troops. I’d forgotten quite how extensive the EWM range was. The rarer pieces of kit may well come in handy.

Suppose that ultimately I should have gone for 28mm, but as a ‘next best’ option large-ish 1/72 is pretty good, i.e. the 23.5mm to 25mm end.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Depends whether you a likely to play against other people and if so what scale they are using.

I went with 28mm as locally thats what people use but if I was starting from scratch AB 20mm would be my range of choice.

DougM

Post by DougM »

If I was starting from scratch I would most likely use 15mm. Kit is plentiful and cheap. And there is a ton of variety.

I chose 28mm because I would be doing both sides, and I wanted to try painting in the larger scales. I also have been doing SP2 in 28mm, so a lot of the terrain is re-usable.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:36 pm
....but if I was starting from scratch AB 20mm would be my range of choice.
Agreed. Beautiful figures. A little on the pricey side but probably worth it. AB say officially 20mm, but in reality the few German figs I have are 24mm (or a smidgen smaller), so exactly where I want to be sizewise. Unfortunately, as far as figs for 1940 they only have a single set of French tank crewmen.

@sjwalker51 - Had a peek at the Blitz Range and the Lancer figures and they both look interesting. I see the Blitz figures are smack-bang in my preferred size range. How do the Lancer figs compare in height?

MLB

Post by MLB »

Wartime Miniatures are very compatible with AB, they are now being sold under ‘Simon’s Soldiers’ and they have more 1940 figures coming out this year for the 80th anniversary in May. You can find them here https://simonssoldiers.com/shop?olsPage ... rench-army
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

contrarius, I’ve not got any of the Lancer French (yet!) but the Brits I have are quite compatible with Blitz, probably a bit ‘chunkier’ but I’m not so worried about minor differences in size/bulk.