Chalk paint — any good for painting terrain?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Contrarius

Chalk paint — any good for painting terrain?

Post by Contrarius »

Not wanting to waste good money on terrain paint I’ve been hunting for alternatives. Noticed something called Chalk Paint on a well known auction site. Seems to be designed for furniture restoration, has an ultra matt finish and is water-soluble. Comes in fairly handy containers for terrain painting, c 100 ml and seems reasonably priced.

Anyone had experience with it? Is it compatible with acrylics?

:ugeek:

Truscott Trotter

Re: Chalk paint — any good for painting terrain?

Post by Truscott Trotter »

As it only comes (in my hardware store) in black or very dark green I have my doubts as to its use.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

I’m eyeing up a half-litre tin of “sandy-beige”, probably the most useful in a range of sixteen colours available from one manufacturer. The blurb says the pigment is chalk-based, and also that when dry it is best varnished, suggesting the binder is not terribly strong, maybe non-acrylic?

Truscott Trotter

Oh right I was thinking chalkboard paint

AICUSV

Post by AICUSV »

I go to my local paint store and get a "sample" of the color I want. Runs about $7 and is more than enough for a 4x6 area

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

I’ve been using Dulux tester pots, which contain 50ml of paint and cost about €1.50 ($1.65) or less. That’s less than a quarter of what I pay for the same amount of Vallejo paint. But in their wisdom, Dulux recently reduced the size of their testers to 30ml and greatly increased the price.

There are other paint makers selling samples, but they’re often in foil sachets that can’t be resealed once opened. I tend to do a little painting fairly often, so those are not for me. Been looking for alternatives. I figured 150 to 500 ml was about as much as I can use in two or three years, by which time water-based house paints typically start to go “off” once opened.

Truscott Trotter

How did the chalk paint work out?

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:39 am
How did the chalk paint work out?
Talked to some staff in the local hardware supermarket. Apparently “chalky paint” is based on the old style paints used for furniture. It’s water-based but contains all sorts of chemistry that is not compatible with acrylics. That put a lid on the idea, as I wanted to mix in other acrylic pigments and paints to get the desired soil colours.

So, bought some matt acrylic housepaint instead. Wanted sand but settled for something called “trench”, which is a greyish beige. Cost about £5 for 0.5L.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

PenelopeJohnson wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:09 am
Did you try the chalky paint? I love the look of that style of furniture. Hopping it came out pretty!
Also like the finish of the paint but gave up on the idea for terrain as it’s not mixable with acrylics.

I do have a small wooden cupboard begging for restoration, so might give the paint a try next summer.

Atomic Renegade

Post by Atomic Renegade »

White works great for painting wooden buildings. Haven't tried it on anything else.

Cheers,

Richard P