Normandy Roads?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

QuantumAsh

Normandy Roads?

Post by QuantumAsh » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:55 am

I'm trying to determine what surface or material was used in Normandy (1944!) to make roads. I've looked at a few images but I don't have a conclusive answer. I expect that a variety of materials were in use, but I'm not sure what was the most commonly found?

cobbles in villages\towns
tarmac\asphalt on major roads
dirt\compacted gravel on minor roads

I'm aiming to create the type of road commonly found running through small towns and villages.

Any guidance appreciated!

Cheers

QA

gilliessim

Re: Normandy Roads

Post by gilliessim » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:58 pm

Hello! The way I do it is a very simple google image search

https://www.google.com/search?q=normand ... 02#imgrc=_

Then trawling through them. I'd suggest your ideas above are fairly spot on, you can tell from the images that there are a large number of pictures with hard top/asphalt roads - at first some look like dirt as you can see tank tracks etc in them but on closer inspection they are too flat and regular to be dirt roads, and this is easier to see when you come upon pictures of dirt roads - much more irregular.

I suspect cobbles would only be in the very centre of villages, and it is very unusual for them to be anywhere outside of a town/village. If it is a road passing a few buildings it is likely to be tarmac/asphalt or dirt. Save your cobbles for churches, town halls etc.

Just my 2p's worth, or perhaps only 1p.....

Ari Marsson

Re: Normandy Roads?

Post by Ari Marsson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Might surprise you just how much use was made of cobbles (setts) outwith the towns...

I can't speak for Normandy, but in 1989 I visited East Germany on business and once we left the autobahn the secondary road was cobbled for its entire length - I can assure you I felt every one of them riding in the back of a Trabant!!! :( :( :(

I remember thinking that the road and surrounding scenery looked as though you would expect Frederik the Great or even Charlemagne to come over the horizon!

QuantumAsh

Post by QuantumAsh » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Cheers for the thoughts, I think you're right looking back at the Google images. Those apparently dirt roads are very flat... I think I might aim for hard tops, then apply some heavy weathering (dirt) as taste\whim takes me.

I do remember some of the French towns being heavily cobbled in the centres when I was last on holiday there. My other half complained bitterly about them!

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:55 am

Have you got ideas on how you are making the roads themselves? I'd be interested to hear/see your work as I have recently being making roads myself so would be nice to see your efforts!

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:22 am

The French term for cobbled roads is pave. There used to be a lot of them, especially in the north of the country, but most of them were replaced (or just tarmaced over) post war.

For some detailed discussion of surviving sections in English, you want to look at cycling news/forums, since the Tour de France tries to include sections of it and there is a famous race, the Paris-Roubaix, which largely runs on surviving pave.

Cheers,
Jim

QuantumAsh

Post by QuantumAsh » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:00 pm

I'd be happy to share my expereinces when I make them. I have tried previously using some cork mounted on 12" lengths of foamcard, with some fancy tarmac look-alike acrylic paste on top (AK Interacive I think). It was all going well until the foamcard badly warped and I gave up in irritation! This time I will try 3mm MDF as the substrate, hoping that this will provide enough rigidity to accommodate the drying out that comes with applying polyfilla, PVA glue etc

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:04 am

Yes my initial attempts at roads always resulted in warping, I tried using the semi-rigid vinyl floor tiles which didn't work well for me! I ended up using the flexible rolls of vinyl/plastic flooring, partly as I had a load left over from some DIY but it also allowed them to be flexible which was a bonus.

jarhead60mm

Post by jarhead60mm » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:53 pm

Check out the Terrain Tutor on you tube. He has some cures and fixes for warping. The first two sites are examples of his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmyUr-AUCUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VioiDyZokWM

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_aro ... D5H661hC6Q

Terry

Seret

Re: Normandy Roads

Post by Seret » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 am

gilliessim wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:58 pm
I suspect cobbles would only be in the very centre of villages, and it is very unusual for them to be anywhere outside of a town/village. If it is a road passing a few buildings it is likely to be tarmac/asphalt or dirt. Save your cobbles for churches, town halls etc.
^ This. Dirt roads were pretty common. This picture is from Fontenay-le-Pesnel, which is a fair sized village: