What have I missed - AWI Terrain

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

DougM

What have I missed - AWI Terrain

Post by DougM »

I am running AWI Sharp Practice, (though I now seem to have forces 10 times any size that could reasonably be contemplated playing), and I have been working on various other components to make sure the playing experience is as good as it could be. So far I have accumulated a few buildings (barns, church, small houses etc.) some split rail fencing, (though I will need to make more), trees, roads etc...

I was wondering if there was anything I have missed that is quintessentially AWI? For clarification, the games so far have been based on early AWI in the North. Le Cedres for one.

It occurred to me that log piles, small sheds etc would be common. Does anyone have anything else to add? Charcoal burner sheds? fish-drying racks... Anything else that would be unique and interesting to add to a table?
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

BaronVonWreckedoften

Re: What have I missed - AWI Terrain

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

In the North, you would be more likely to have stone walls, rather than split rail fencing (look at the Doolittle cartoons of Lexington & Concord - and Munin's excellent tutorial just below this thread).
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

siggian

Post by siggian »

More trees. Always more trees.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Crops in fields, specifically corn (maize) and wheat.

Areas of brush - not necessarily trees, but just low growth. Bushes and stuff.

A field full of stumps.

Jfuller39

Post by Jfuller39 »

Ok I’m jumping in. How do people do corn (maize) fields? I’ve got the standard easy coir mat for wheat (on the cheap) and I’ve got trees and brush (and fences and walls). But how do people do corn?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I've used sections of green AstroTurf drybrushed yellow for cheap cornfields. Not as good as some of the homemade ones I've seen at shows.

John

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL »

If you're in the US, Battlefield Terrain Concepts have some really nice ones. http://battlefieldterrain.com/product.b ... duct_id=17

Munin

Post by Munin »

You can get the same effect as BTC's by taking frilly cocktail/burger skewers, spray-painting them green, and dry-brushing the tops yellow.

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

‘‘Tis the season for corn fields.” The source of the BFT corn fields is cheap Chinese Christmas wreathes. You can find them in dollar stores, craft shops. Effectively a spool of dark green oversized pipe cleaners.

Also consider mounting them on cards a stand width wide. As troops march or fire through them you can remove swaths of corn opening up the battlefield as you play.
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

DougM

Post by DougM »

Thanks for the responses guys, all good ideas. I shall add them into the grab-bag of ideas for scenery. Now I am wondering about the style of the stone walls... :-)
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/