All's Quiet On the Lardy [forum] Front

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Gibby

Re: All's Quiet On the Lardy [forum] Front

Post by Gibby » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Richard wrote:The problem for me is that as a nearly-one-man-band I have to disappear for significant stretches while I delve into research for a project and then again while I am formatting something for the printer. There are few times when I am free to just chill out and spend as much time here as I'd like, or should. The same can be said of the Yahoo group, but I can at least post once there saying "I'm not around at the moment because..." and everyone gets that message. Whereas here I always feel like I'd need to post to every board.

Which is probably daft, but that is the way I feel.
Not sure if this forum uses the same code, but as Admin on most forums you can post threads as Announcements which then appear at the top of every folder at the same time, so if someone pops on and only checks out Sharp Practice they will still see your message, for example.

pixelgeek

Post by pixelgeek » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:06 am

Richard wrote:The same can be said of the Yahoo group, but I can at least post once there saying "I'm not around at the moment because..." and everyone gets that message. Whereas here I always feel like I'd need to post to every board.
If people use the new posts search feature they should see it. You could also put in an Announcements forum that only admins could post to and post it there.

Since they moved over to the Neo layout I can't actually use the Yahoo Group. Doesn't load properly in any browser I own unless I open every link in a new tab.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:25 pm

Pixelgeek

I must admit that Yahoo is annoying me at the moment.

Rich

Chris Gilbride

Post by Chris Gilbride » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:37 pm

My Yahoo account was recently closed because I didn't log in enough.
I always use the email option from the group and reply via email so never need to sign in to the bloody thing. However a recent rash of posts into the files section, led me to discover that Yahoo now want me to sign up once more and are asking even more personal questions. So I don't think I'll bother. I'll use the email route and forgo the files, unless the posters also can add them into the forum.

Chris
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

pixelgeek

Post by pixelgeek » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:26 am

What I found annoying was that they required me to come up with a nickname for my account supposedly for the IM and chat features which I have no intention of using.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:45 pm

That is indeed daft. Not come across that myself.

Rich

Peabody

Post by Peabody » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Best thing about the forum is the 'view new posts' tab; lets me know what's been added since my last visit, regardless of the section it was posted under.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here! Blog thingy.

pixelgeek

Post by pixelgeek » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:22 pm

Richard wrote:That is indeed daft. Not come across that myself.
Might just be that I had to create a new account. I suspect that it won't do that if you've been using Yahoo Groups for a while.

pixelgeek

Post by pixelgeek » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:23 pm

Peabody wrote:Best thing about the forum is the 'view new posts' tab; lets me know what's been added since my last visit, regardless of the section it was posted under.
I just have it bookmarked. Go right to that page and I'm ready to read