All's Quiet On the Lardy [forum] Front

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Gibby

All's Quiet On the Lardy [forum] Front

Post by Gibby » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Hey chaps,

It's a bit quiet around here. I can't fathom why anyone would prefer Yahoo's hideous layout over this lovely forum, but it seems most do! Has the forum been advertised enough over there do you think? :D

John Thomas8

Re: All's Quiet On the Lardy [forum] Front

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:12 pm

The folks from the Yahoo! group that are going to post here are already here. Whether you or I think the Yahoo! interface is hideous (I don't like it) folks like it, like the Yahoo! mail digest of the day's e-mail, or don't want to bother with creating another web site account. It is what it is and everybody will find where they want to be and be happy with it.

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:25 am

Some of us frequent both locales - sometimes real life gets in the way though :-)

Edward

FreddBloggs

Post by FreddBloggs » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 pm

I like getting the messages through my email client, I use here for pics etc.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:44 pm

Habit. The Yahoo group has been my life for a dozen years.

Mind you, forgetting my password here didn't help!

Rich

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Like Edward I frequent both. I enjoy getting my daily email digest from the Yahoo Group and it's occasional amusing diversions, but find it more of a pain to post on there. This Forum is easier to use and lends itself well to discussing rules or other queries. It's horses for courses and I think there is room for both.

John

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:28 am

Well, I hope no one thought I was criticising the use of Yahoo over this forum. I have been getting more Lard-like over the last few months since finally getting Sharp Practice to the table (and then buying Dux Brit and CoC and then my mrs bought me CDS!) so I thought it'd be nice to integrate myself into the Lard community. I am used to forums like this, but Yahoo was a terrifying layout! That said, I have recently learned to use it properly, so now I have the best of both worlds as well. Huzzah!

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:07 pm

The forum is great for rule-related questions and announcements, the yahoo group is more chatty - the former is the office, where work is done, and the yahoo group is the pub in which you meet afterwards for a pint and a chat, where the conversation tends to veer off-topic very easily but always (OK, usually) stays interesting.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:43 am

The problem for me is that as a nearly-one-man-band I have to disappear for significant stretches while I delve into research for a project and then again while I am formatting something for the printer. There are few times when I am free to just chill out and spend as much time here as I'd like, or should. The same can be said of the Yahoo group, but I can at least post once there saying "I'm not around at the moment because..." and everyone gets that message. Whereas here I always feel like I'd need to post to every board.

Which is probably daft, but that is the way I feel.

I am now in a strange lull where Dux the Raiders is at the printers so I DO have a bit of time to give this forum more attention. But having said that, I am already at the point where I should be researching the next project.

I really need to find some elves, where I lay out a pile of history books at night and when I come down in the morning the rules are written!

Rich

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Or farm out the document formatting to a starving graphic artist/college intern type who will work for beers to build a portfolio.

Just a thought.