What A Tanker - From Scratch

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

guthroth

What A Tanker - From Scratch

Post by guthroth »

WAT gives me the chance to jump into 28mm WW2 gaming from scratch.

Obviously I need a section of 3 tanks, but do I need to get some infantry for WAT as well ?

Thanks

agent_pumpkin

Re: What A Tanker - From Scratch

Post by agent_pumpkin »

My understanding of WAT is that it is pure Tank combat, so no infantry.

Of course if you want infantry in your game, then by all means have them. It'll give the tanks something to run over. ;)
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

butchyboy73

Post by butchyboy73 »

You should get infantry if only for WW2 completeness. It'll mean that when (not should) you start playing Chain of Command your forces will be ready to go 😉

naash

Post by naash »

Hello,

I think that 28mm is not the best scale for WAT if you don’t plan to play 28mm wargames.

20 or 15mm would be better :
- table is wider
- distances fit better
- accessories and terrain are cheaper

guthroth

Post by guthroth »

It's funny you should say that. I have quite a bit of 1940 era stuff in 20mm and I spent last night prepping two BEF A9s and a PzIII. I'm still pondering which force might be fun in 28mm but when the rules arrive I will ready to go.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

For those with a French disposition, Warlord are currently doing a "£10 off" deal for three Char 1 Bis (£50 instead of £60); you can spend the saved £10 on a pack of French tank commanders (£5) and a pack of tarpaulins and other stowage (also £5) to pimp them up.

Of course, unless you go Vichy, you then have to spend the next five years sitting in Anglo-American crap waiting for the inevitable 88mm shell to part your hair.... :roll:
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

guthroth

Post by guthroth »

Does WAT need jump off markers ? Or similar ?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I wouldn't have thought so.
However looking at the snippets on the web it would seem you need a progression of tanks throughout the war

Unfortunately in 15mm I sold my Early War German Polish and British forces off and kept the Late War stuff as no one locally played EW much.

In 28mm I only have 1944 stuff so again I need to look at what to buy. 15mm is certainly much much cheaper and I have far more 15mm terrain than 28mm so maybe rebuy some 15mm tanks for the Germans. I stil have some EW stuff for the Soviets.

Will wait until I have read the rules or at least seen the BoW video.

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:52 pm
However looking at the snippets on the web it would seem you need a progression of tanks throughout the war
That's only really necessary if you're going all out for an extended campaign and it's quite possible to have a lot of fun with just one tank per player.

You can put together mini-campaigns with small numbers of models as well as playing unlinked games.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

No jump-off points required. Unusually for us, it' a "Start from the edge" game.

As Wee Derek says, one tank is plenty of fun. If you don't have a tank to upgrade to, just stay as an Ace in the one you have. You'll be the big beast of the battlefield.

Rich