What A Tanker

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Seret

Re: What A Tanker

Post by Seret » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Cheers mate, don't imagine I will be, but appreciate the offer.

I've got loads of tanks and a few SP guns, but I've never really bothered with the TDs in CoC because they're usually no good against infantry. It's all about that HE rating in CoC, but Tanker will be a different story...

Snowcat

Post by Snowcat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:16 am

You could always do something like this (Eureka Miniatures style):

8-)

And if you don't like the cartoon eyes on the cartoon Pz III, then...

In any case, the area where the original emblem has been 'removed' looks like it needs to be properly masked and filled with the same black as the typeface, as I noticed it hasn't been completely removed upon close inspection:

Ok, too late? Never mind. Carry on. :roll:

Cheers
"When one goes, one must go with style."

Snowcat

Post by Snowcat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Question re career entry point tanks and career progression in WaT:

On the Career Ladder, there are a bunch of tanks for each year of the war at each year level. You pick the tank you want from each bunch, yes? So in 1941, the German tanker starts his career in either a Pz 35 (t) 3.7cm or a Panzerjager I. Once he collects enough kills, he progresses to level 2 where tank upgrades are available.

It's then also up to the player which tank he wishes to upgrade to from the next bunch of tanks offered at that new level. So the player who started in a Pz 35 (t) could carry on with a Pz II D-E, or a Pz III or Pz IV of some kind better than their 1940 variants, etc. Logically, the player who started with a Panzerjager I might choose an early Stug at Level 2 (presuming there's one available). Equally, players can switch from tanks to tank hunters as they see fit. There's nothing stopping them from choosing whatever they want from each bunch of tanks at each year level.

Do I have this right?

Also, is it possible to have your tank crews remain playing in particular years of the war, e.g. 1941 or 1941-43? I expect the answer is "of course you can; do what you like". Yes?

Cheers
"When one goes, one must go with style."

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:14 am

Just out of curiosity some basic queries
1.) Is there a recommended vehicle scale?
2.) Is there are ground scale and or time scale?
3.) Are there rules for operating a Zug or troop as a team per player? ie radio comms etc?
just wondering if that could form the basis for a campaign eg each player starts with 3 or 4 tanks in a troop then gets replacement crew as requires etc. Is this part of the set up?

aktr

Post by aktr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:42 pm

One question
what happens with the French come 1942?
does the progression table just stop?

Also can I have an idea of starting tanks for the various factions - just curious *opens warlord games webstore*

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Factions?

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Okay,
1. No. we played in 15mm and 28mm. 20mm would be fine.
2. No ground scale, it's irrelevant at the level of game we are looking at. Time scale is a matter of seconds per turn.
3. No, to comms. That's much more about Chain of Command, this is very much about the story of individual crews. We considered it but it actually detracted from the game. In the end we felt that players co-operating together gave a better representation of "radio chat" than any bolted on rules.
The campaign idea you suggest would be very, very easy to run. However, it's not included.

With regards French, we specifically state that they may continue their campaign with the Free French.

Entry level tanks differ depending on nationality and what year you want your campaign to begin.

Rich

Seret

Post by Seret » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Cough, Polish, cough...

Would be great fun to start the war in '39 in a 7TP and then split mid way so you could finish in either a Sherman 76mm or a T-34-85 in '45. Might be a bit of a gap in the middle, due to the unpleasantness.

naash

Post by naash » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Great idea !

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks for the answers Rich.
I think then 15mm as I have a few tanks sitting gathering dust and quite a bit of terrain.

So you normally woild play one tank per player but could play a troop per player?

With regards to the Polish Seret they could always swap to a captured German tank in mid 44 😉😎