AB retiring

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

dalemunk

AB retiring

Post by dalemunk » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:23 pm

Just got their newsletter. Sad...

An Apology to our Customers

We have been wishing to retire for some time now and for the sake of continuity wanted to pass the production of "AB Figures" to another manufacturer in the UK. The first time, we thought an agreement had been reached when the designer, Anthony Barton, who holds intellectual copyright on the figures, changed his mind and withdrew permission for the new manufacturer to go ahead. This time, he has refused to consider the proposal with a second manufacturer and threatened legal action should it go ahead.

He has not informed us of his intentions with regard to the figures, but we understand they are likely to be produced in Australia.

The good news is that we hope that the AB Figures' Artillery and Bridging Equipment will continue to be produced here in the UK by a reputable company.

The website will shortly cease to exist, but we would like to thank all our customers, both past and present, for their support over the last 25 years.

Michael & Lynda Hickling

genew49

Re: AB retiring

Post by genew49 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:38 pm

I did also. Several posts about this on the TFL Yahoo Group as well. This is what I posted there:
Yes, I received this also. My heart skipped a beat when "AB Figures have retired" appeared on my email. Hopefully the Barton side of AB will eventually come to terms with someone to keep these wonderful little soldiers alive. I had been away from our hobby for many years the summer my son went to sleep away camp in 2004.Since I had some time I was surfing the web one day and came across the AB website and I was back in the game. At that time I ordered most of my figures from Eureka Australia and some directly from AB. Never had a problem with either. in the last year or so I picked up a few packs from Milicast. I think I have most of the US, British and German ranges so technically I don't need any more but I would love to see someone pick up the line because I know the phrase "I don't need anymore" has never stood in my way of adding to the lead pile.

Timmo

Post by Timmo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:30 pm

I recall reading that AB WW2 were going to go to Wargames South. I think that is the move that Tony Barton wasn't going to allow to happen and which Mr Hickling refers to in this last post. Millicast are almost out of stock.

The natural move, and one that Tony would almost certainly approve is that the WW2 figures are produced in Oz by Eureka, alongside his other ranges such as the peerless Napoleonics. Should this be the case, and I think it highly likely, then there is a very good chance that they will be available in the UK via Ian Marsh at Fighting 15's.

I for one am very happy about this because it means that these brilliant figures will be cast to an amazingly high standard and both Eureka and F15's offer exceptional customer service.

genew49

Post by genew49 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:23 pm

And Eureka USA as well.

baxterj

Post by baxterj » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:04 am

Chaps there should be news on this in the next day or so.

john

baxterj

Post by baxterj » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:31 am

If you receive the Eureka newsletter, you will see the following announced today:
As you are no doubt aware, for the past seven years Eureka Miniatures have been the sole licenced manufacturers for all AB 18mm ranges. Now, we are excited to announce that from 25th October 2013 we will also be the sole representatives for the unsurpassed 20mm AB WWII range.These figures will now be produced exclusively by Eureka Miniatures and their approved agents, Eureka USA and Fighting15s (Europe).

We will be creating all new moulds from masters supplied directly by Tony Barton. This will ensure the highest quality for this premier WW2 range.
Of course, making the new moulds will take time. Each month we will add to the range until we are up to date. The first releases will be the US infantry for Northern Europe 1944-45. We hope to have some sets with EurekaUSA for Fall In on the 15th-17th November. Our second release will be German Infantry.
As always, we welcome any suggestions regarding in which order you, our valued customers, would like to see the rest of the range unfold.

Some of you may have seen or received an email from AB Figures with this message: http://www.abfigures.co.uk/index1.htm. Tony would like to set the record straight on several fanciful points made in that statement.
“The Hicklings have produced the AB WW2 range under licence from me, paying me a royalty on sales, for the last ten years and more.
For the last five, they have run it free of royalties, which was a gesture from me to help them out before they retired.
They have recently indulged in some eccentric behaviour regarding my copyright and in the circumstances I have revoked their licence.
The AB WW2 range is now transferred to Eureka Miniatures, who I am confident will do a splendid job.”
AB
I think good news for everyone who wanted to see this range sold on a more 'accessible' basis.