Mortars

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

jarhead60mm

Mortars

Post by jarhead60mm » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:44 pm

I just finished reading "A Perspective on Infantry" by John A. English. I thought some Lardies might find this of interest seeing how mortar fire has been the subject of much discussion when playing CoC.

Quote from the book: Mortars were described during WWII as "the man-killers in modern combat," and it was commonly recognized that "you simply cannot advance over ground swept by mortar fire." (Taken from Canadian Army Training Memorandum no. 48 1945)

It goes on to say that the infantry would have to maneuver into a position to kill the enemy by fire or cut off his line of retreat.

I thought the book was worth the read.

Terry

Truscott Trotter

Re: Mortars

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:25 pm

Yup no disagreement from anyone on the first premise
My question has always been from a gameplay and RL POV when you do not activate your mortars to actually fire and potentially inflict damage for a phase or even 10 phases in a row. in COC the pinning and smoke is still there. Is this still being swept? Obviously Rich thinks it is I disagree simples.

Seret

Post by Seret » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:21 am

Well, it's obviously a bit of an abstraction TT. I think Rich's intention was to apply an on going cost on the side using the barrage.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:30 pm

Making them spend pips every phase would be an ongoing cost