Fokker D.VII

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

jarhead60mm

Fokker D.VII

Post by jarhead60mm »

Some Lardies might find this of interest.

https://vintageaviationecho.com/fokker-d-vii/

Waiting patiently for Algy. :)

Terry

Quackstheking

Re: Fokker D.VII

Post by Quackstheking »

jarhead60mm wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:44 pm
Some Lardies might find this of interest.

https://vintageaviationecho.com/fokker-d-vii/

Waiting patiently for Algy. :)

Terry
You of course mean “What a Fokker”! 😂

Don

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

"What a Fokker"; now that's a game that would be fun to play. Still looking for a good WW1 air warfare game.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Hi Len,

I've used the "Dog Fight Over Flanders" rules in the past.
I haven't played them for long time. I found them to be easy to use and gave an enjoyable game while being realistic.

I used these rules for 1 squadron Australian Flyiing Corp in Palestine and Syria with 1/300 scale models.

Regards
Darren

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

It was the Fokker DVIIf which was named in the Treaty of Versailles as it was the most dangerous aircraft in WWI. Director and millionaire Howard Hughes got his hands on several and ended up making the film, "Hells Angels". https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020960/

As far as gaming, I still use "Blue Max" as my go to rule system. Not complicated and fun. I have over 150 1/72 scale models for the game...maybe more...lost count really.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

Thanks Darren & redmist1122 for the rules suggestions. I'll have to see if I can find a copy and try them out. I'm looking at Bag the Hun for WW2 air war, but it seems to have limited Pacific content, which is my preferred theatre. I have an amazing series of books by Michael Claringbould & Peter Ingman that detail a lot of air battles in the south Pacific. I'm keen to try some out as scenarios.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Funny you should mention that but am currently reading Samurai by Saburo Sakai about Japan air ace. Very interesting read but never come accross a set of air rules I was happy with either, prob best left to compiter games?

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

Here's a link to the Blue Max and Canvas Eagles web page. Rules are different, but have a similar game play. The rules are free to download. Have fun.

http://www.maxeagles.com/

TT - I'm a fan of the original Red Baron PC game from way back-when. I think I invested in the Red Baron 3, which was a fix for all the RB2 crap release.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Thanks Greg,

We used to play Red Baron back in the day when it was a board game. Enjoyed it then but the two dimensionality got to me and didnt like Wings or War either.

Will have a look at Blue Max.

Alsways felt air combat really needs good campaigns and/or scenarios to make it shine.

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:03 am
Funny you should mention that but am currently reading Samurai by Saburo Sakai about Japan air ace. Very interesting read but never come accross a set of air rules I was happy with either, prob best left to compiter games?
Is that the book by Martin Caidin? Be careful, that writer had a tendency to "embellish" things. Not very reliable.