What Scale for Infamy

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

siggian

Re: What Scale for Infamy

Post by siggian »

This may no longer be accurate, but I read somewhere a long time ago that the average Roman soldier was 5 foot 2 and the average German warrior was 5 foot 7.

Glasgow Warhog

Post by Glasgow Warhog »

I think the answer depends on whether you favour the game more than paint part of the hobby. If you like painting it's 28mm and up. But if it's big battles maybe 1.285. But you loose some painting detail.

Or have your cake and eat it...BOTH.

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

I recall being shown around the Mary Rose, and the guide saying, "Of course, the Tudors were much shorter. The average was only 5'7 tall."

I'm 5'6.

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

So in a modern 28mm world, you're a vintage 25mm figure! ;^D

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I was going to suggest F sharp....
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Not really part of the thread but related ish.

I got my first collection of wargaming figures int loft somewhere, they are GW Empire as I was the stupid one who went for the only full metal force when everyone else bought one of the early plastic sets of 10 scaven, 10 goblins, 10 orcs, 10 high elves 10 dwarves and 10 dark elves. Or at least that's what I thought was in the box, they then split em. Another chap got the great plastic skellie box, still stand the test of time those boys.

Anyhoo the Empire are actually very good 25mm medieval skulpts by Perry ithink and do look like they would fit well for WOTR so I am tempted to dig em out and have a go at stripping them. I am def not knowledgeable on armour so they may actually be a mix of many periods of armour from around Europe but they will do for me. SAGA age of the Rose's.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.

DougM

Post by DougM »

Tomm wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:09 pm
Contrarius wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:06 pm
Modern humans are at least 10% taller than just 70 years ago, and Italianate folks have always tended to be smaller than northern Europeans, so if we were on 1.0 in Roman times there is a good case for saying we are now on version 1.1 or 1.2.
That's nutrition and healthcare though rather than genetics. Or

"Ain't my fault you don't look after 'im, squire. This'll do 6'6" looked after right"
Apparently, 17th Century Scots were the tallest and strongest people in Europe, that and a supposed 'Martial Tradition' meant they were highly prized soldiers in Sweden, Germany and Poland.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

When I first went to Europe in 1976, my now ex and I were surprised to see how people were taller the further north we went. Each country had its own representation of that but each more northern country showed as taller.

DougM

Post by DougM »

No longer true in Scotland, 200 years of Industrial Revolution and a chip based diet - they're all midgets.
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Maybe the Shetlanders and Orkney people are taller? Although I have met Angus K.