Simple infamy question...

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Tim Haslam

Simple infamy question...

Post by Tim Haslam »

Just to help me plan ahead, can someone please give me some idea on numbers for a Roman force.
I know this is kind of ‘how long is a piece of string’ question.
But just ball park figures on unit sizes and probable ‘army’ sized numbers?
Please.

The Foundry Copplestone Late Republican figures are probably the way I will go because I’ve always loved these figures, and painted a fair few in the past. So the army will include some native auxiliary types. German cavalry etc.

Thanks in advance.

Archdukek

Re: Simple infamy question...

Post by Archdukek »

Check out the Lard TV YouTube channel for the videos Rich has posted describing how the troops are organised and what a typical core force for “Infamy, Infamy” looks like.

Basically Romans are organised in groups of 8, barbarian warriors in 10s, skirmishers and cavalry as 6. All plus some 3-4 Leaders. Typical force is around 50-60 figures or thereabouts I believe.

John

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam »

Many thanks John.
If a may add to the question....

For SP I based my basic troops on 1p coins, but looking at the size of some of these ancients I may have to go bigger?
Accepted some people are using basing from other systems, but assuming you were just starting out, how would base your figures? Are 2p coins acceptable?

Thanks again.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Tim,
As far as I’m aware you can base your figures any way you like so if you want to use 2p coins that’s fine especially if you are trying to fit some of the more actively posed figures on it. I think that’s how Rich has based them but I’m not certain.

You can buy the Barbarian mob tray he uses from Warbases to fit 1p, 20m, 25mm and 2p so take your pick.

John

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam »

Thanks.
War bases eh, I’ve had stuff from those guys before, good service.

I’m probably best watching some of these Lardy videos to get a better idea.
I think a core of 4 units of 8 legionaries is the best start.
Final question....
Should I put command figures and standards etc in my units of 8 OR leave them for the actual character figures?
I’m only asking because the basic Roman squad was 8 men, ten of which make a Century. It’s at that point that the optio, centurion and co arrive on the scene?

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam »

Just realised that Foundry also sell the blisters in units of 8!
Handy

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Tim,
As you’ll see when you check out the videos the command figures and standard bearers should be kept separate. They are the characters leading the groups of men.

John

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam »

You have been most helpful, thank you.

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Rich bases his figures on 1p coins and multi-bases on either Warbases mob trays or the laser printed ones by Sabotage. There aren't really any figures that represent standard bearers so I base mine as a normal figure to bulk out my groups plus a few have found themselves on Leader bases (I put a various number of figures on the base to represent the status level) or on vignettes to act as Deployment points.

Don

Jimintring

Post by Jimintring »

I have my legionnaires on 1p, with Auxillary, and barbarians on 2p. Still thinking about how to base the command units. Various movement trays in regular and irregular. Cavalry, 2 figures on a 50 x50 mm base. I still have some Praetorians 2 on a 45 x 25 which I think i will leave