Coastal Patrol great for solo or remote gaming

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

mluther

Coastal Patrol great for solo or remote gaming

Post by mluther »

If anyone is thinking about an easy game to adapt for social distancing play, I would recommend Coastal Patrol. It's got a layered blind system that makes it extremely easy to solo play with unknown units underneath. Also no trouble to set up take down terrain.
You can even run a game without miniatures. Most actions are at night with wakes and muzzle flashes being the most visible signs of combat.
Mark

Archdukek

Re: Coastal Patrol great for solo or remote gaming

Post by Archdukek »

That’s an excellent idea. I hadn’t thought of trying Coastal Patrol. Currently playing games of Lion Rampant via Skype, but I might suggest this as my regular opponent enjoys the game.

John

mluther

Post by mluther »

I did run a small game yesterday via texting and it went well, especially for the Soviets. Scenario involved 2 armed trawlers and a R boate on picket and some D3 mtbs and Mo4 trying to get through the line. We didn't know what was even on the table til spotted and had no idea of crew quality. Coastal Patrol is a really good set of rules for remote gaming.
Mark

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Any chance of a video walking us through the rules? Having only played Chain of Command and Sharp Practice, I'm struggling to get my head around the CP set; I've just acquired a very cheap starter box for Cruel Seas and want to use the 1:300 MTBs/E-Boats for a simple CP game, just to get the hang of it, and then go to 1:600 for more elaborate games with bigger vessels.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

mluther

Post by mluther »

I really am not up to a video, but the rules are pretty basic. The thing to remember is that this is like several TFL sets that require a way to determine which unit is activated. I just use poker chips in a bag and draw. Before the game decide which ships are in which blinds and which initial blind the smaller blinds are in. So its a layered blind system. Replace the initial larger blind with the smaller ones on the table and in the draw bag (similar to IABSM). I'll be happy to answer any specific questions with a PM.
This is a fun game that seems quite a bit more realistic than Cruel Seas because of the blind system.
Mark

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

mluther wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:38 pm
This is a fun game that seems quite a bit more realistic than Cruel Seas because of the blind system.
Mark
That's been my impression from talking to people who have played both - in fact, I don't know anyone who has looked at CS since it came out and gone with that rather than sticking with CP, as a consequence. I might take you up on the PM thing - I don't play IABSM, so I'm not familiar with the "blinds" system in CP, and getting started is my main difficulty at the moment.

(Btw, I'm looking at solo play to learn the rules, in order to teach other members of my club when the lockdown ends.)
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Baron,
There is a lot of useful material in the Coastal Patrol files section of the TooFatLardies groups.io page. See link below.

I use the larger blinds from there at the start of the game to indicate the possible presence of vessels, these are then replaced by smaller blinds after the initial successful spot which then have to be spotted again to confirm whether or not they are enemy vessels. A deck of playing cards are used to determine who goes when. Some of the blinds are marked with card symbols which makes it easier.

John

https://groups.io/g/TooFatLardies/files ... l%20Patrol