Infamy, Infamy! Force Sizes?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Atheling

Infamy, Infamy! Force Sizes?

Post by Atheling »

Hi,

Obviously, force sizes will vary depending on a umber of factors but could I ask; what would be a mean average Roman Force size and a mean average 'Barbarian' force size?

I can be a glacial painter when it comes to my own stuff and it would be very useful to have some idea in advance, in my case well in advance :)

Any info appreciated 8-)

levied troop

Re: Infamy, Infamy! Force Sizes?

Post by levied troop »

Don’t let my slightly megalomaniac photo worry you mate :D

Looking at the drafts, Roman force might be 32 legionaries, 8 slingers and 6 cavalry with 3-5characters and a German force of 40 warriors, 6 slingers and 4-5 characters. Although there’s clearly scope to go bigger.
See you in the morning down by the Jetty

Peter

Post by Peter »

No German cavalry?
Peter

Atheling

Post by Atheling »

levied troop wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:45 pm
Don’t let my slightly megalomaniac photo worry you mate :D

Looking at the drafts, Roman force might be 32 legionaries, 8 slingers and 6 cavalry with 3-5characters and a German force of 40 warriors, 6 slingers and 4-5 characters. Although there’s clearly scope to go bigger.
Ooh, Germans = that beautiful timeless Foundry range but I want to go more Britian and Gaul . I've always fancied a 'Celtic' force but never bit the bullet purely because of the number of miniatures it takes to have a convincing army. At the Infamy scale it is very doable.

What about the peoples of Britain and Gaul? Same sized units? And chariots?

Also, are warriors split between the nobility and tribal? I'm thinking of what mini's I want to use for the the Gauls and Brits. Armour or not as the case may be and in what proportions for the warriors?

:)

levied troop

Post by levied troop »

Peter wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:23 pm
No German cavalry?
Peter
Yes, I was just quoting the couple of sample forces I happen to have handy. Cavalry seems to be in sixes, have as many units as you like.

Atheling - I don’t have the other ‘barbarian’ forces to hand but from the sample Germans then 40 to 50 figures would be a usable force, there are a variety of tribal types and weapon characteristics and there are certainly chariots.
See you in the morning down by the Jetty

Atheling

Post by Atheling »

levied troop wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:26 pm
Peter wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:23 pm
No German cavalry?
Peter
Yes, I was just quoting the couple of sample forces I happen to have handy. Cavalry seems to be in sixes, have as many units as you like.]
No Huns ;) :P I'll get me coat......
levied troop wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:26 pm
Atheling - I don’t have the other ‘barbarian’ forces to hand but from the sample Germans then 40 to 50 figures would be a usable force, there are a variety of tribal types and weapon characteristics and there are certainly chariots.
Thinking about it,. before I go and order a shed load of mini's, I'd better put the brakes on as we've got WorLard coming up quite soon so I'll see if I can get a game in on the day then start making decisions about what to buy. I'd quite like a varied force and with chariots being a bit off the wall for the period is the attraction :)

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Roman Infantry are in 8’s cavalry in 6’s and “Roman” Skirmishers also in 8’s. If you want to use a Scorpion that is with a crew of 5. Obviously there will be a few officers required and sundry “characters such as a musician or Signifer (standard bearer).

Barbarians (Gauls, Britons, Germans and Spanish) are in 10’s, skirmishes and cavalry in 6’s. The barbarians may also have small units of Fanatics also in 6’s. Chariots are limited to the British in units of 3 and used historically as “battle taxis”. As with the Romans you will need some leaders and a few other characters such as a Champion, an old hag a Druid etc. We are also using some small vignettes as Barbarian ambush/deployment points plus rallying points which barbarian war bands can fall back on.

As regards force sizes think about 8 to 10 units for the Romans and similar for the barbarian - in total 70-90 barbarians and 60 Romans roughly.

Hope that helps.

Don

Atheling

Post by Atheling »

Quackstheking wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:15 am
Roman Infantry are in 8’s cavalry in 6’s and “Roman” Skirmishers also in 8’s. If you want to use a Scorpion that is with a crew of 5. Obviously there will be a few officers required and sundry “characters such as a musician or Signifer (standard bearer).

Barbarians (Gauls, Britons, Germans and Spanish) are in 10’s, skirmishes and cavalry in 6’s. The barbarians may also have small units of Fanatics also in 6’s. Chariots are limited to the British in units of 3 and used historically as “battle taxis”. As with the Romans you will need some leaders and a few other characters such as a Champion, an old hag a Druid etc. We are also using some small vignettes as Barbarian ambush/deployment points plus rallying points which barbarian war bands can fall back on.

As regards force sizes think about 8 to 10 units for the Romans and similar for the barbarian - in total 70-90 barbarians and 60 Romans roughly.

Hope that helps.

Don
Thanks for the thorough run through Don 8-)

I can start collecting though now that you have mentioned Spanish, it's a great excuse to get some Scutarii and Caetrati on the table top. It would fit my current terrain building project too. i take it that Celt Iberians are a feature too?

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Used Caetrati as Roman allies in last weeks game set in 55bc Caesarean invasion of Britain.

Don

Atheling

Post by Atheling »

Quackstheking wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:58 am
Used Caetrati as Roman allies in last weeks game set in 55bc Caesarean invasion of Britain.

Don
Better than average light troops?