Apple just deleted all my Lardy pdfs from the Books app

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Contrarius

Apple just deleted all my Lardy pdfs from the Books app

Post by Contrarius »

Arrrrggghhhh!!!

F***g Apple at it again. :evil:

All my pdfs on the iPad in the Books app just vanished thanks to their recent update.

I can download the Lardy ones again, but also had several fairly rare documents found randomly on the web. Probably won’t be able to replace them. Anyone figured a way of storing and reading pdfs outside of the Apple Books app?

Edit: I guess the Files app, kind of works.
(Just so annoyed with Apple!)

Archdukek

Re: Apple just deleted all my Lardy pdfs from the Books app

Post by Archdukek »

I feel your frustration. I’ve been having trouble accessing saved TFL material through Apple Books on my iPad too. The icons are still there but it won’t download the text. Thought the problem was my old one, but the new iPad I got for Christmas is also being problematic. Everything is still accessible on my iPhone fortunately.

If you find a solution I’ll be interested.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Can you not just keep copies of the pdf in a normal file folder ie not in applebooks?

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger »

I keep my PDFs in GoodReader saved to the Cloud.

Edward

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:44 am
Can you not just keep copies of the pdf in a normal file folder ie not in applebooks?
I keep copies of most stuff on my desktop computer. Sometimes, however, a lot of stuff from random iPad surfing, specifically pdfs, I’ve found it convenient to save to Books on the iPad. Being lazy and overwhelmed by information, I’ve not got round to transferring/ copying all of it — foolishly believing it was safe in Apples’s Books app.

Then of course there’s stuff I use for gaming, which is far easier to access from a tablet than a desktop. So all those Quick Ref Sheets, Sharp Practice army lists, user-created lists and scenarios... well that’s all been recycled into its constituent electrons... thanks to Apple.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Switch to Android. Never look back.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

I have had a lot of problems with iPad and iBooks as you say with things disappearing.

I occasionally have had luck with going to iCloud (or icloud drive in Catalina) in system preferences, clicking off iBooks and then clicking it back on. One never knows!

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

john de terre neuve wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:29 pm
I have had a lot of problems with iPad and iBooks as you say with things disappearing.

I occasionally have had luck with going to iCloud (or icloud drive in Catalina) in system preferences, clicking off iBooks and then clicking it back on. One never knows!
Thanks for the suggestion John. I tried leaving iBooks switched off for a while before turning it back on and it seems to have worked at least for those I’ve checked. Great stuff. :D

John

DougM

Post by DougM »

Back up to dropbox or similar.

One of the reasons i never went Apple was their lockin and your complete reliance on their decisions. At least with Android/PC, you have a range of alternatives (Kindle, PDF, Calibre etc.. for readers, and any number of cloud or local storage options).
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

john de terre neuve wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestion John. I tried leaving iBooks switched off for a while before turning it back on and it seems to have worked at least for those I’ve checked. Great stuff. :D

John
No doubt iBooks can be annoying, but I am this worked.