Italian uniforms 1940-41

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

BaronVonWreckedoften

Italian uniforms 1940-41

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Two questions:

- What mix of headgear (helmets and tropical hats) did the Italian infantry wear in action during Operation Compass?

- Other than the black feathers in the headgear, were there any other distinguishing features of the desert Bersalieri uniform (vis-a-vis the normal line infantry) that would be obvious in 28mm?

Thanks.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Vanth

Re: Italian uniforms 1940-41

Post by Vanth »

1) Both were issued, it seems by the photographic evidenceat hand that most used the tropical hat so I would go for something like 70/30
2) Unless you are painting collar flashes, no difference in the uniform
Vanth
"...there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..."

BaronVonWreckedoften

Thank you; two follow-up questions if I may?

1) Was the wearing of either headgear item more specific to certain troop types (eg tropical helmet for HMG/mortar crews)?
2) Would the collar flashes be worn with combat dress?

Vanth

Post by Vanth »

1) I wouldn't say so in general. My guess would be that when they were being shelled, most recurred to the helmet while used the tropical hat in other occasions, butit's a wild guess mind you
2) Collar flashes were on the tunic, not on the shirt. So if your troops are modelled with a shirt they wont have them, otherwise they would be there. But they are quite small on a 28mm miniature, mind you...

Tese would be the flashes and headgear badge for the 1st Rgt Bersaglieri (the others just changed the number in the badge

Machine gunners technically would have a different flash
Vanth
"...there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..."

BaronVonWreckedoften

Thank you, once again.

Vanth

Post by Vanth »

My Pleasure
Vanth

DougM

Post by DougM »

And now I know who to come to with my questions about Italian uniforms :) I'm doing an Italian force for Sicily, though they should also be usable for earlier if I am careful. The added benefit is that I get to use Fiat 3000 tanks. I'm using the Empress Miniatures 28mm sculpts and I will be doing a mix of the 'green' and desert-tan uniforms.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------