ANCIENT SHARP PRACTICE - INFAMY! INFAMY!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Richard
Site Admin

Re: ANCIENT SHARP PRACTICE

Post by Richard »

Sitrep. Just off on hols with a pile of books. My first Roman and German forces are complete. My first British forces are assembled and ready to paint on my return. So progress is being made.

Rich

DougM

Post by DougM »

I'm sure it will be ready by Easter... time for me to dig out those Victrix plastics...
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

DougM

Post by DougM »

PS - don't forget the Greeks and the Carthaginians, the Spanish and the Samnites.
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Great news Rich.

I was only thinking last night how perfect ASP (Ancient Sharp Practice) would be for Spartans, hairy Frankish warbands, and Normans. I could see the forces with their corresponding Big Men in my head and how ideal it would all look and play.

Might be worth assembling ASP forces in readiness...

8-)
"When one goes, one must go with style."

Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

And on those Normans...

I can see a campaign following the adventures of a certain Mr Hood and his band of hardened outlaws operating around parts forested vs the dastardly local Norman overlord and his soldiery of armoured thugs...

You could play this with 'Lion Rampant' or similar, but I can't see why ASP couldn't do it superbly too.

You could of course do similar things with Romans and Germans/Celts. :)

John_savage_uk

Post by John_savage_uk »

That’s a cracking illustration! Love it!

Draft lists for Saxons, Vikings and Norman’s has been done and I’m keen to put together a 12th Century medieval list, (primarily to support the rather nice range of figures due to be released by Footsore) which I think would be ideal for the games you have in mind. I’m a big fan of Lion Rampant and it gives a good fun, quick game with a nice balance of historical and Hollywood. Sharp Practice is just so much deeper and more satisfying though!

Still lots of work to do and won’t happen overnight but I think we are both of a similar mind as to where we would like this project to go.

Cheers

John

Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Hi John

Well my hat goes off to you for that game you put on recently that inspired this whole thread.
I mean, what's not to love about this...

Now a few extra folks are talking about it, and significantly Rich himself has replied as well as provided an update just the other day. (I noticed in one of Henry's photos from the event that Rich was sitting at your table watching some of the action, so that's great.)

The wheels appear to be turning. :)

Are you working on the army lists in conjunction with Rich? (Just curious.)

Cheers and thanks again!

Ivan Zaitzev

Post by Ivan Zaitzev »

This is really interesting. What does people think this game will require figure wise and how are you planing on basing them? Or I'm jumping the gun here and should wait for the rules to be published?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

As the rules haven't been written yet I suspect it might be awhile before they are published.

However I would expect the figures and basing to be similar to other SP lists.

John_savage_uk

Post by John_savage_uk »

Thanks for the kind words Snowcat. Yes Rich and I are swapping ideas!

Ivan, again I can’t speak for what (or might not) come out of this project but my game is firmly a Sharp Practice size game. The game at Partizan had something like 7-9 groups on each side with half a dozen leaders. SP is a mass skirmish game and I don’t see that changing with any Ancients version. One of the things I love about SP is it is relatively easy to put together a force of 40-60 figures and again I don’t see that changing. The game at Partizan (which was a decent sized game) had 56 Romans and a Scorpion bolt thrower take on 70 barbarians and 4 chariots.

In terms of figure basing, again like normal SP anything goes. My groups are essentially SP size with 8 figures per group, 6 figures for skirmishers etc. However my barbarian warband groups are 10 figures strong. The game at Partizan was played with multi-based figures (actually Impetus sized bases 120mm x 60mm). The Romans therefore actually had 10-12 figures to a base but as we recorded casualties as well as shock they essentially had a nominal 8 figure strength. The barbarians are based 5-6 figures on a 60mmx60mm base so 2 bases becomes a group with a nominal figure strength of 10 figures.

What you see in the photo is therefore 2 groups of legionaries in line formation outside the fort facing off against 4 groups of
Warband.

So you can base individually and use sabots, or multi base, exactly as you can with Sharp Practice. And it will work for Ancients based for more traditional big battle Ancients be that Warhammer Ancient Battles, Impetus, DBA etc.

Hope that helps.

John