ANCIENT SHARP PRACTICE - INFAMY! INFAMY!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

poiter50

Re: ANCIENT SHARP PRACTICE - INFAMY! INFAMY!

Post by poiter50 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:58 am

Made me want to vote a second time. Infamy, Infamy!!
Richard wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:05 am
I think Oozeboss has just perfectly illustrated how terrible some potential names are...

Snowcat

Post by Snowcat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:18 am

Richard wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:29 am
Several things to remember here. The career progression aspect of the game allows the player to reach the dizzy heights of Triumphant or the terrible depths of Infamy. If you achieve infamy then you are assassinated and your career over. Secondly, the game has an Infamy Deck which, as your career progresses, allows you to gain these and use battlefield ruses to wrong-foot your opponent. So, where the Term Sharp Practice means something in those rules, Infamy means something very big in these.

I do think that it's interesting what we are seeing here. Brits and those closely associated with us like Aussies and Kiwis all 'get" the reference and are range from happy to very keen on it. Yanks are more laissez faire but tend to prefer English language titles. Europeans seem more keen on Latin names. The latter is in direct contrast to the English speakers who seem to feel that Latin names are somewhat cliched.

Ultimately, I think the ayes, or more to the point the II's (Infamy, Infamy) have it.

Cheers

Rich

Right, that's sorted then! 8-) 8-) 8-)
"When one goes, one must go with style."

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:55 am

Apparently "What A Load of Gauls" was Caesars first words when viewing the opposition at Alesia....just sayin :lol:

DougM

Post by DougM » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:36 am

I'm pretty sure you could have some great titles, there are all those inspired by Asterix, then there are the odd cultural references like 'Romanes Eunt Domus', never mind the possible English titles, Sharp Edged, etc.. endless variants - it depends - do you want to reference other sets? Probably not.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:03 am

Does sound like it's very tied to Imperial Rome and some of her enemies - I'd been hoping for something a little more general. Still, could be a good basis for earlier/later periods.

Peter

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:40 am

We don't do 'general' for the simple reason that at skirmish level it's very important to differentiate and identify very specific styles and tactics used by the participants. The more general one gets, the more detail is lost.

That said, this is the main rule book covering Caesar through to early Empire. We plan (and I've already got some armies for) Republican Rome with Carthage, Greece and similar and then an Eastern supplement looking at armies there.

Rich

Emilio

Post by Emilio » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:00 am

Are you going to add cavalry? And mixed germanic cavalry/light infantry formations?

Milo.

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:06 pm

Is there any chance we'll get a sneak preview or even a demo game at crisis?

Ivan Zaitzev

Post by Ivan Zaitzev » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:20 pm

Does base size matter in the game (or does it matter in Sharp Practice)? I'm planning on playing this in 15mm.

Snowcat

Post by Snowcat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:11 am

Ivan Zaitzev wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:20 pm
Does base size matter in the game (or does it matter in Sharp Practice)? I'm planning on playing this in 15mm.
No, you won't have any problems with that.
"When one goes, one must go with style."