Saipan Book

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

jarhead60mm

Saipan Book

Post by jarhead60mm » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:48 am

Just finished reading "Saipan, The Battle That Doomed Japan" in WWII" by James H. Hallas. Good book.

His other two WWII books are very good also. "Killing Ground Okinawa, The Battle for Sugar Loaf Hill" and "The Devil's Anvil, The Assault on Peleliu".

Terry

Len Tracey

Re: Saipan Book

Post by Len Tracey » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:31 pm

How good are those books at representing both sides?
Is it just an American perspective or do they analyse the Japanese side as well?
Interested to know more on this.
Cheers

l'audace

Post by l'audace » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:18 pm

Len,

I thought the Saipan book was good. It was the only book on Saipan which did a good focus on the opposed landing. Only Tarawa was worse. Seems a lot of his first hand accounts were from casualty reports. There's a little on the Japanese but as usual after the landings not much as most books.

I've read a lot on Saipan since my grandfather was there. Most sources say the Japanese command was destroyed in the first few days and the rest of the battle the Japanese fought a somewhat ad hoc defense for the next few weeks up until the massive banzai charge. With the amount of losses the Marines and GIs suffered the Japanese seem a lot more coordinated than American sources let on.

It was probably the best book on the subject. The accounts of amtracs and landing craft full of wounded marines that no ships would accept was pretty horrifying.

Jim

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Finding detailed accounts from the Japanese perspective for any theatre seems rather difficult

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:27 am

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 pm
Finding detailed accounts from the Japanese perspective for any theatre seems rather difficult
Allow me:

"The Path of Infinite Sorrow", by Craig Collie and Hajime Marutani (Kokoda campaign); and
"Tales By Japanese Soldiers" by Kazuo Tamayama and John Nunnelly (Burma - including one rather amazing tale told by a Japanese nurse).

:ugeek:
"We are all worms.
But I do believe that I am a glow-worm."

Winston Churchill

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:04 am

Looked for the latter but out of my price range.
Will have a look for the first one
Thanks Oozy

l'audace

Post by l'audace » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:15 pm

Yeah, that's a problem when all of the commanders on the ground kill themselves or were executed after the war. I woulve loved to here from Yamashita.

I have "The Battle of Okinawa" by col Hiromichi Yahara who was Gen Ushijima's chief of staff. I haven't read it yet. Supposedly Ushijima ordered him not to commit suicide so he could preserve how the 32nd army fought.

Jim

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:55 pm

Yeah would love to even have a translation of the unit diaries from some units in the Malaya/Hing Kong battles

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:14 am

G'day Jim, sounds like a good book to get. The story about the wounded being refused does indeed sound terrible.

oozeboss, I've read both the books you mention and can strongly recommend them both. I found them both very useful in developing my understanding of the Japanese forces. In that regard, the story of the Japanese nurse was very interesting and a unique perspective.

Thanks all.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:31 am

Anyone read
Singapore: The Japanese Version Kindle Edition
by Col. Masanobu Tsuji (Author), Margaret E. Lake (Translator)
looks quite good - for some reason Amazon UK does not have it listed only US and AUS ones