Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

CTP99

Re: Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Post by CTP99 »

Oh Dave, my basing OCD is causing me palpitations! on page 9 of this post you have all your British Infantry based on FOW small 3 hole bases and now post this pic of US Infantry on FOW medium 4 hole bases ???

Is this because US Infantry sections were larger ? will it not matter if opposing forces are on different size bases for CQB ?

Should I just stop worrying and keep all my stuff on the small FOW bases ?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I think what Dave is saying is that ideally FOW small bases with 3 figures but of course most 15mm. FoW players have their existing stuff based 4 to a medium base regardless of the nation.

I for one will not be rebasing. 🙂

donglewwe

Post by donglewwe »

My (feeble) understanding is that the number of figures used (as well as their size) is left to personal preference / visual appeal.

The base size only has an impact when ground scale (in this case 1:1000, iirc) is considered (if considered at all?) - it depends on how much space you want a section/squad to take up on the table.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Exactly as you both state, it matters not how they are based, either on the smaller FoW bases (which I have done and prefer, it just seems better to me 8-) ) or if they are based on the regular medium FoW bases.

DB

alihashmtanker

Post by alihashmtanker »

this week?

dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

Siggian - not sure if I agree with your statement that OG uses a similar engine to GdA & PC. Based on my experience playing GdA and watching the OG videos the mechanics seem quite different, especially in combat resolution.

While the overall command & control rules could be considered distant cousins (rolling for command availability, placing orders, etc), the addition of the battalion HQ orders lends a whole new level of tactical decisions to OG. That, combined with the ability to use the command points to create patrols, call in artillery barrages, conduct defensive fire during the enemy’s turn, really makes it quite a different system.

Actually, while I was watching the videos, I got the impression that OG was more similar to a game of Chain of Command, albeit zoomed out to the battalion level, rather than platoon level. The combat patrols resemble patrol markers, the combat system rolls to hit and the saves are a lot like CoC, and the use of company commanders is a lot like the JL’s and SL’s in CoC.

Having said that, I also feel that both games are different enough that one could play them both and have a unique gaming experience with each one. CoC gives you that “down in the mud with the grunts “ tactical feel, while OG looks at it more from the “old man” sitting in his chair at HQ, watching the big picture.

I dearly hope that at least the pdf version will be out before the first of the year. I have it on good authority that the big guy in the red suit is bringing me a new battle mat for Christmas - can’t think of a better way to break it in than with a rousing game of O-Group!!

Regards,

Jim

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

How will the rules deal with nations that had much larger squads, e.g. the Soviets and Poles? I’m assuming you would use more minis per squad base?

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

C,

Yes, four sections for "square" platoons.

They have a reduced firepower per section to account for poorer command and control, so more or less on a par with regular platoons, but could have potential greater impact upon battalion morale if they fail a rout test, as square platoons test at 50% section losses.

DB

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

The problem older wargamers face is that many modern rules say base size doesn’t matter, but it does.
If you have a ground scale of 1 : 1000 there are guide lines in tactical manuals that lay down how much frontage tactical units should occupy, so that when a General tells his brigadiers that he wants the to be responsible for an attack and what his objectives will be.
It is then up to the Brigadier to allocate the tasks to his battalion commander’s.
Now we come to “O” Group : the game looks great. The only problem I can see for gamers of my age group is real guidance on base size for figure size. I have 20mm figures for early war and some 15mm PSC figures but I think 10 to 13mm would be the size or even 6mm but my eyes are WWII vintage and it’s more fun to see what is on the table. I get that the basic is a platoon of 2 or 3 bases.
From the pics. It would be
2 - 3 men + LMG x 3
then coy. hq. With a 2” mortar & a/t rifle. Radio + offr.
It really needs a clear sketch to say what sizes are and to be clear about what you think what they are in the rules.
Once you use larger figures say 15mm a 25% increase in table size may be needed to make it look right.
Because the figures are 1:100 and the table scale is 1:1000.
I maybe mistaken and you may be using 15mm figures for the videos.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Dragoon,

I would not overly worry about the frontage of tactical units. Although frontages were laid down they were not hard and fast by any means, indeed the Infantry Training manual for the Battalion states: "The fronts which may be allocated to infantry units cannot be made the subject of rules; they depend on the method of attack, the nature of the ground,..." etc. The manual is more concerned with not over-extending frontages as this impacts upon efficient control.

As a result O Group concentrates on the Battalion Commander's Plan, Company Boundaries and axis of advance; plus Company objectives or phase lines.

Hope that helps.

DB