Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

DCRBrown

Re: Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Post by DCRBrown »

P,

Yes, as a Platoon HQ is only about five blokes it's incorporated into each platoon.

Whilst you can attach an additional PIAT team to a platoon, each platoon also has it's own integral weapon as well, so you can represent the odd PIAT figure in a section if you wish, though it's not essential where he is within the platoon on the ground, the PIAT team are deemed to be anywhere into the platoon.

Similarly with 2" mortars, each platoon has its integral mortar and is included as part of the overall platoon firepower and again you can include the odd 2" mortars figures if you wish.

One of the Training Characteristics of British infantry includes an attempt to cover/screen movement with 2" mortar smoke.

DB

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I like the term 'attempt' 😊

Peter

Post by Peter »

I'm liking the sound of these rules more and more.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

There’ a good range of armour in 10mm (Pendraken), but anyone with IABSM in 15mm then from the look of it a section would be a platoon so in effect a company would become a battalion.
However some of the bases wouldn’t be present because they are organic to the rifle platoons so it appears, no Bren gun teams, no 2” mortar and no platoon anti tank.
Orders come from battalion command to company command but I am a little confused because although the scenery was great it didn’t show the working.
Figures on the table will actually be 1/3 of a battalion but tanks etc. Will be 1 : 1.
Where if 2 or 3 infantry bases = a platoon (about 10 figures) then 2 or 3 tanks should = 6 to 10 tanks or less. If battalion HQ is off table and not represented then there should a small box where the dice are placed for that moves roll and the same goes for each company command.
I’m collecting beer bottle tops to paint the platoon letters on, blinds and a reserves box.
It would be really useful if we could see a chart like an orbat so that we could see exactly what is needed for an infantry battalion and all the supports and where the orders come from.

I have a particular game that I want to play. An ad-hoc BEF battalion are being ordered to hold a road and stop a German regiment with full supports including armour.
It was written for battalion level rules but it look as though it would be a better game with O group.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

My questions answered so I can see a company on the ground but what will an HQ Coy. Look like with the company weapons?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Dragoon O Group IS Battalion level 😁

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

D,

Here's a quick pic of a British 1944 battalion and supports in my bespoke travel corres tray!

To the top and outside the tray is the Battalion HQ Company, the HQ, 3" mortars and the FOO. The Battalion HQ can be on table or off table, according to your preference; it matters not to the game mechanics as long as you have somewhere to record HQ Orders. Company Orders are held by the player and issued to his battalion platoons and sections as he sees fit. Occasionally a Company will be "Hesitant" which severely restricts the orders its can receive and actions it can carry out. A player also uses his orders for the deployment of reserves and artillery requests, so as you will note, the player will rarely have enough Orders to carry out all his objectives each turn, essentially choosing his Schwerpunkt.

The Battalion

Below in the tray you have:

Left Hand side is A Company with attached supports below, the 6pdr anti-tank platoon and a Vickers MMG section.

Middle is B Company with attached supports; they have a Sherman tank troop and an Achilles antitank section.

Right hand side is C Company with an attached Sherman tank troop in support.

You just might be able to make out that there are Bren gun sections within the companies. Although these do not fight any different to a normal section, they do allow you to use your Bren gun and for that matter 50mm mortar models if you wish.

One model AFV or Gun = 2 tanks or guns, or can be 3 tanks or guns if required, (it's no longer 1:1).

Supports will vary from game to game, depending on your scenario or if you are using points to select your support options. So whilst this battalion has the 6pdr anti-tank platoon a player may decide to drop his A/T platoon to use the Carrier platoon or similar. Or of course, you can deploy the battalion at full strength with all options to suit your game.

Hope that helps.

DB

Peter

Post by Peter »

So what will a carrier platoon look like? ;)
Really looking forward to this.

Peter

lebedo

Post by lebedo »

Hi there.
Still no release date?
Thanks.

Peter

Post by Peter »

My British battalion is all but ready, though I still have some supports to add (that box of PSC carriers isn't going to make itself!) but if the game takes much longer I'll have to add a battalion of late-war Germans.