Duration of games?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica, Nellkyn

KevinW

Duration of games?

Post by KevinW » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Can anyone with experience tell me how long a full sized game of Charlie Don't Surf would last? I'm hoping to persuade some folk at my club to try it out as there has been a sniff of interest in the past and I quite like the look of the rules. In setting up a game, I'm just a little concerned by the large Company based scale fitting into the approx 3.5 hours gaming time we have at the club in an evening.

Kevin

Derek H

Re: Duration of games?

Post by Derek H » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:22 am

In my experience that's quite possible, but only if the players are all familiar with the game of if there's a referee keeping things moving along smartly.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Charles Eckart

Post by Charles Eckart » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:51 am

Start with a basic company without a lot of supports or just use 2 rifle platoons. Add air, artillery and so on as players gain experience.
Step by step is the best approach with most game rules. Should be playable in 3 hours.

Nellkyn

Post by Nellkyn » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:50 am

You should be fine getting a result in 3.5 hours but...

The referee needs to keep the momentum going and the players need to be conversant with the systems.

I'd agree with the suggestion of starting with infantry only and add the extra systems in gradually in subsequent games.

KevinW

Post by KevinW » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks, that is helpful. I've painted up all kinds of goodies including a fast patrol boat, M113s, 2 Hog gunships and 2 Loach spotters. I'll just have to keep most of them in the box and hope everyone likes it (sheds small tear).

While I'm on line, anyone got a good way of deciding who gets to use up reserved dice first and in what order at Time Out? There doesn't seem to be a convention in the rules so I was going to toss a coin for first go and take turns thereafter.

KW

Nellkyn

Post by Nellkyn » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:08 pm

I've always considered the use of reserve dice on the Time Out card as being simultaneous. It's a very rare occurrence where two players will have units in the same vicinity with reserve dice. If it really came down to it I'd go for something very similar to your suggestion and get the players to roll a D6 each. Winner goes first.

urbinoprince2

Post by urbinoprince2 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:57 pm

How do you determine how many turns a game should last?

Nellkyn

Post by Nellkyn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:16 pm

urbinoprince2 wrote:How do you determine how many turns a game should last?
Not sure what you mean by the question. The game is scenario driven so each side will have objectives.

We'd play until it became obvious that one side had "won". This would usually be the PAVN quitting the field. At his point we'd calculate political and military victory points.

It's possible for either side to win one aspect but not the other.