Noobie question about scale and basing

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Nellkyn, Laffe

Noobie question about scale and basing

Postby Sharpe » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi everyone (and happy christmas).

I am looking into this rule set after it was recommended to me.

I am a huge fan of this period. A friend of mine suggested we use Flames of War but having tired FoW Tour of Duty and assorted supplements several times we feel that the rules just don't work right for Vietnam.

My question is: how well does CDS cross over with the FoW scale and basing system?

Regards
- Sharpe
Sharpe

Re: Noobie question about scale and basing

Postby Vis Bellica » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Perfectly. You don't have to re-base anything: just use a command stand to represent Big Men.
Vis Bellica

Postby Sharpe » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:26 pm

Perfect thanks and happy Xmas.
Sharpe

Postby Sharpe » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi again.

Just waiting for my copy of CDS to arrive. While I am waiting could someone tell me what the 'preferred' mounting system is for CDS. As mentioned above, I have FoW mounted figures atm. Vis B mentioned that this is perfectly fine.

However, I was wondering how much of a strain this places on 'the board' in terms of casualty markers? I was wondering whether people tended to mount figures individually at the 15mm scale?

Sorry to keep posting. I am sure the rules will specify but I am waiting out on them and my mind is already weighing up how to mount my current and future minis.

Thanks again,
- Sharpe
Sharpe

Postby Archdukek » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:17 pm

Sharpe,
IIRC, like most TFL rules, the CDS rules don't specify basing, nor does IABSM with which I am more familiar. It's generally left to the players to decide what suits them and their figure collection.

Since there is individual casualty removal if starting from scratch, ideally one might want to base a section in such a way that it is both easy to move and take off casualties, therefore a mixture of say a couple of single figure bases to make change for casualties, with some 2 or 3 figures bases for ease of movement.

However, to be honest it really doesn't matter so long as you can track casualties and identify Big Men. I've used FOW based figures for IABSM without any problem and CDS is a similar system. I use some small white micro dice in frames on 1p pieces to track shock and similar sized red dice to track casualties. Simple and not too intrusive.

John
Archdukek

Postby bob696 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:33 am

I am in a similar situation to Sharpe in that all my painted 15's are based FoW. However. I have a company of local force vc on the painting table and I have decided on a different approach for those.

I am basing them on 2 pence pieces (majority 2 figures to a base with some singles) and then using movement trays (the same sort seen used in SP2). Individual casualty removal and ease of movement of units :-)
bob696

Return to Charlie Don't Surf