Possible Dux Brit Participation- hints and tips needed

For gamers putting on TooFatLardies games at Shows and Conventions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

tonicnh

Possible Dux Brit Participation- hints and tips needed

Post by tonicnh » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:10 pm

Folks

There's the possibility that I might be involved in organising/running a participation game in a few months time and the current thinking is to "do" Dux Brit....

Trouble is i've no experience in this regard and I dont get to too many shows nowadays so aren't up on current trends.

Unfortunately my google-fu is also failing (cant find much on t'interwebs about Dux Brit Participation games) so I thought i'd ask the group if they've any suggestions/do's/dont's with regard to successful participation games nowadays and more specifically how to run Dux Brit as a participation game

I know that's a lot of ground to cover but any suggestions would be gratefully accepted - for what its worth here's a few random things (in no particular order) i've come up with so far

- We've got Picts, Saxons, Romano British, plus Vikings and Normans (homebrew army list) to choose from army wise

- Not sure if scenario or "battle" is better for participation purposes

- I'm guessing some sort of handout/poster would be a good idea (contents will depend on what we end up doing scenario/battle wise)

- We'll be taking a couple of card decks for each side (that way we've got some spares if any get lost)

Any help gratefully appreciated

regards

Tonic

Derek H

Re: Possible Dux Brit Participation- hints and tips needed

Post by Derek H » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Easiest thing for people unfamiliar with the game to pick up would be a Romano British vs Saxons straight up battle. No cavalry - they add a whole extra layer of complication to the game.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:37 pm

I ran a Dux Brit game over the summer at Historicon and it went pretty well over all. I'm thinking that larger games would work best (2 forces per side). In these larger games, a battle would definitely be better.

What I did was have each player take control of a leader and split their forces up however they wished. This can lead to some of the players playing more of a supporting role, such as the player who was responsible for looting the buildings while the rest fought.

I kept the cards to one deck, which seemed to work ok, the big thing is making sure to remember the fate deck alongside the turn deck if you're running the game.

The random movement and entry at the start of the game, while great for campaign play, can lead to a pretty lopsided game if your'e not careful. The Franks were pretty much at the village before the Romans got moving, leading them to be a little more reckless than they probably should have.

I would agree that keeping things simple with Romano-British vs. Saxons would probably be best, but if you're confident that you can explain the play style of the Picts and cavalry well and that your players will pick it up, it may give a more dynamic game, albeit a faster one. I plan on running my Franks and Romans as all infantry one more time before bringing any cavalry into the equation.

tonicnh

Post by tonicnh » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks for the replies folks - some very useful stuff and food for thought

regards

Tonic