HCon 2018 Lard?

For gamers putting on TooFatLardies games at Shows and Conventions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Munin

Re: HCon 2018 Lard?

Post by Munin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:55 pm

So it looks like a trip to Historicon is my belated Fathers' Day present. I look forward to meeting fellow lardies!

genew49

Post by genew49 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Still hoping to make it, it's iffy but I haven't given up my hotel room yet. Go Lard America!

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Rollin' rollin' rollin'. Could that be the could of cowboys driving cattle down to Heathrow? No, it's my squeaky old suitcase getting stuffed with utter rubbish (let's be honest, six pairs of socks, six pairs of pants, six shirts, several pairs of shorts don't take up that much space). So now I'm ready, I will be heading off at 0600 Zulu tomorrow. I'll be posting my progress on both Twitter and Facebook, so please do follow me there. Very much looking forward to seeing the Lardies in the US.

Cheers

Rich

DeRuyter

Post by DeRuyter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:23 pm

jony663 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:37 pm
DeRuyter, when is you game on Thursday?
Sorry for the late reply - My game is at 10:00 am on Friday. According to the PEL it is full, but I can fit more players.

It will be the Battle of San Domingo 1806. The frogs caught with their pants down but we shall see if the players can rescue them from history!

edleland

Post by edleland » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 pm

How can you tell from the PEL whether a game is full or not? Inquiring minds would like to know.. (especially for my own games!)

Munin

Post by Munin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:51 pm

Well, shit. I now have a meeting at work Friday morning. Looks like I'm going to miss the Lardtastic fun this year. :(

gsymko

Post by gsymko » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi All,

I'm back at work after a great weekend at Historicon.

So I have to tell you a couple of things. On Saturday I played the absolute best games I have ever played in all my 30 years of wargaming and both were CoC. One was SCW and the other Russia 1942. Great opponents and very challenging situations.

The second greatest thing to happen was I got to meet my Wargaming hero Richard Clark. I even got his autograph. CoC has given my wargaming a shot in the arm.

So this is how significant this is. A few years back Sarah Jessica Parker and Mathew Brodderick were at my House and I did not ask them for an autograph. And Glory is one of my favorite war movies.

So there you go,

It was a pleasure meeting you Richard

Best

Greg

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Afternoon all.

I'm back in Blighty after a fabulous trip to the States. I feel like I've been run over by a train. so please excuse me if I give a full sitrep tomorrow.

Suffice (I hope) to say for now a HUGE thanks to all of the US Lardies who made me feel incredibly welcome. I was totally knocked our by the kindness and hospitality of everyone over there. I met some really great people and had a fantastc opportunity to see how US gaming has progressed, and I mean REALLY progressed in the past seven years.

My thanks to Greg for his kind words. I did have to laugh as I have never felt like a bigger charlatan with people asking me for autographs like I was Justin bloody Bieber. Not to mention getting a very flattering gong from the HMGS guys at a ceremony where I was treated like royalty (it even had a free bar which is probably unwise with me around!). For me, a bloke who is jut a very ordinary wargamer who creates games because doing that is my hobby, it is quite a surreal experience to be treated like that.

Mind you, am I glad to be home. I haven't seen a vegetable for a week and I think I'd be dead if I spent another week eating in diners.

Cheers

Rich

genew49

Post by genew49 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm

I'm very disappointed that I was not able to attend and meet the folks who make up Lard USA and Rich. It sounds like it was a great weekend. Rich you only have yourself to blame for your eating routine. I invited you for a BBQ if you were in NY and I grill lots of veggies as well as GIANT steaks (or swordfish or salmon). Of course for dessert we'd have to go to the diner.

edleland

Post by edleland » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:29 pm

gsymko wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm
So I have to tell you a couple of things. On Saturday I played the absolute best games I have ever played in all my 30 years of wargaming and both were CoC. One was SCW and the other Russia 1942. Great opponents and very challenging situations
Greg,

You've made my day! Thank you! I was really happy how the game turned out both aesthetically (my wife rocks!) and with how it played. The tactical problems were not easy ones but everyone who played seemed to appreciate that. That makes all the work worth it...

One of my few regrets from Historicon is that I was so focused on getting my game set up that I didn't get a chance to watch the SCW game. It looked amazing and it sounded like you guys were having a blast! I hope they run it again at Fall In so just maybe I can sign up for it.

Thanks!
Ed