Sharp Practice in Bristol October 7th/8th

For gamers putting on TooFatLardies games at Shows and Conventions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Captain Reid

Sharp Practice in Bristol October 7th/8th

Post by Captain Reid » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Which it will be a Sharp Practice Napoleonic War Extravaganza set in western Spain in 1811.

Two games on the Saturday and two on the Sunday. Attend either or both days, or just for one game on either or both days. Up to 12 players, with the possibility for more if demand is sufficient.

Games to run roughly 1030-1330 and 1400-1700 on the Saturday and 1015-1300 and 1330-1630 on the Sunday.

It will be held at Bristol Independent Gaming

This will have the spirit of a typical Lardy day but be more of an 'impromptu campaign' day than the typical umpired games and will be similar to the two French and Indian War events I've done: A Scapling Party and Unbridled Savagery.

Bring your own French, British, Portuguese, Spanish or Guerilla force (this is encouraged and while I'm not overly fussed about points, anything around 50 will work fine and more is splendid if you don't mind another player potentially sharing them for a game).

Or fight using supplied models either as the gallant French 69e Ligne (enough for 4-5 players), or as the 95th Rifles, the stalwart 1/3rd Guards (including my ancestor Private John Hunter - don't get him killed please), or the guerillas of El Hombre Sin Nombre (enough for 4 players).

Scenarios will include:
Donkey Sauté
La Señora Adora Heras
Guerillas in the Mist
and the classic Fray Ricardo y el Convento de la Virgen del Apretado Coño
and more.

There will be windmills and pigs.

Six players signed up so far and about a dozen places available - which can be increased if enough attendees can bring their own figures and suitably 'Peninsulary' terrain.

Post below, PM me or post on the Facebook Event Page if you'd like to come and/or if you've any questions.

Obviously I'll want to balance French and Allied armies, so if you can do either, please let me know. Anyone with Portuguese or Spanish forces will be doubly welcome. Eating and drinking available on the Saturday evening for those interested too.
Faith! If they tried to outrun a Hielandmon, they stood but a bad chance, for Whash! went the broadsword.
- James Thompson, 78th Foot.

The Saindoux Campaign, 1757, my French and Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, 1811, my Peninsular War blog.

john de terre neuve

Re: Sharp Practice in Bristol October 7th/8th

Post by john de terre neuve » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:16 pm

It looks like a great day.

A little too distant for me to travel I am afraid.

John

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:21 am

Will this be held again in October 2018? Ditto the January one?

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:52 pm

There will be one in late Sept/early October of this year, yes. I will almost certainly look to do another sometime in the first couple of months of 2019 too.

Both will be Peninsular War based with the period, strictly-speaking, being Spring/Summer 1811. However I'm very open to Peninsular-based forces from 1809 through to 1812 (basically because then the Spanish can have sillier hats).

We ended with about two dozen players last time, which was about as many as I felt comfortable with for this kind of event (doubles). However, as most players are now more experienced, and will be even more so by January, and as I am beginning to create pre-programmed scenarios requiring less umpire input, the only real limiting factor on numbers will be terrain.
Faith! If they tried to outrun a Hielandmon, they stood but a bad chance, for Whash! went the broadsword.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks, I'm hoping to have a Peninsula Brunswick/KGL force; not sure if it will be ready for late September, but certainly for next January. Terrain is not likely, unless I can borrow some from my club.

(When you say "doubles" do you mean two players per side? If so, great as my son will probably come and partner me.)

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Yes, two per side. It's generally a bit more sociable. I aim for two games per day and about 3.5 hours per game, so the added time taken chatting isn't so much a factor. It also helps increase the player count as we only need half the number of tables.

I'll probably be putting the event 'live' sometime in May. I will be posting it on here and also on Facebook (which is generally my preferred choice for communication, much as I loath it), though I will monitor the forum thread too. I will not be advertising it on the yahoo group as I cannot fathom its workings.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Possibly a tad sacrilegious, given SP's origins, but have you thought of banning British/French units, and making it all "furriners" (ie Germans, Spanish or Portuguese for the "good guys" and more Germans, Dutch, Italians, Poles whatever for the opposition)? Might make for some unusual combos.