On the Road to Stalingrad, Part Four
I have to admit that after posting Part Three yesterday, I was not feeling that confident about my roofing ideas. So, as soon as the glue had dried on the roofs, I slapped on some of my standard base coat, the bitter chocolate paint. That did make me feel a bit better, so I walked the dog while that dried.
On my return I was a bit happier, so I got out a black aerosol can can spayed the interiors. I always spray the insides of buildings black, I am certainly not going to bother painting walls and internal decor, so a neutral colour serves the purpose. While I am spraying, I add any stuff I need to undercoat in the box as the overspray gets that started. Here I added a Solido Jagdpanther I am currently converting.
After that I sprayed the roofs black and was MUCH happier as it was looking likely that my daft roof idea was going to work.
The next step was to slap on a load of paint. I always tell myself that I am going to paint the wood grey and I do start working towards that end, dry brushing on about four or five different shades of grey-brown and pure grey before ending up with a thin coat of Vallejo Stone Grey and then a white oil paint which keeps its pigment. However, I always end up staying more brown than I want. Maybe next time I will have the courage to go grey more gracefully.
Anyway, with that done I added some colour. Here are my two favourite buildings by some distance.
These are both Warbases, being from their Eastern Europe range which you’ll find here: Warbases
These are Eastern Europe House 3 and Eastern Europe House 4 respectively. On these, as with the models that follow, I still need to finish the chimneys. I want to add some white lime mortar between the bricks which I did consider buying some posh weathering powder to do that. However, I reckon a stick of chalk will do just as well, so I intend to pick some up from the club as we have a box there. These models are brilliant Russian Izbas and really reflect the housing of the rural folk of that nation. They are also VERY easy to construct which is a joy in itself.
Next was this model from Charlie Foxtrot where, at long last, I had the chance to use some Magenta paint I have had for years and never opened.
I love the contrast between the grey of the old wood and the bright colours. Again, this model is a real beauty and fits in marvellously with the peasant village look. Again, this was simple enough to assemble. The Dutch style roof was a challenge for the impatient modeller (i.e. me) but sometimes you need patience to do the more complex stuff.
Charlie Foxtrot’s Eastern Front range can be found here: Charlie Foxtrot
This is there Rural House 3.
Next was this pair from Charlie Foxtrot.
The first is Rural House 4 and is much bigger than the other models and was a bugger to build. With a square building I use a couple of large elastic bands to hold the structure rigid while the PVA glue dries. Here I could not do that with the L-shape structure. In the end I abandoned PVA and went with superglue which then goes everywhere. However, we got there in the end.
These two buildings are rather different to the first three models in that they do not fit in with that peasant village look, but are more suitable, to my mind, for a more modern setting such as a collective farm. That is perfect as I want that, but they do have a different feel. The former I decided to paint as the farm manager’s house. To that ends I decided to paint the woodwork a Communist red, but not a vibrant colour, but a dreary, faded red which spoke of long forgotten promises broken; five-year-plans unachieved. I intend to add signage on this building, with contemporary posters exhorting peasants to achieve targets and a big sign stating the name of the ‘Kolkhoz’. Anyone know how to write “Jeremy” in cyrillic?
The second building has the feel of a stores building or office. I shall add posters and signage there was well. This is Rural House 1 from the Charlie Foxtrot range. Next was Eastern Front cabin, again from Charlie Foxtrot. I like this model as it is a nice size. I do wish that there was a bit more to it in terms of decoration, such as window shutters and the decorative window surrounds which would really bring this piece to life. I may just add them myself from card. However, on the farm across the fields from Lard Island, there is a little brick build house of similar size which was where the farm hands would go to collect their pay back in Victorian times. I have use this in a similar way. Or maybe I’m thinking too much…
Huts, sheds, etc. These are a selection from Warbases and Charlie Foxtrot. These, and the others I have now ordered, will allow me to create the modular terrain I want with yards and outbuildings.
The good news is that I found a couple more buildings in my workshop and I have ordered more as well, so we should be able to move on this week. I think that tomorrow may well be my first day of painting my German Pioneers; my first figure painting of 2017 (yes, really!) so let’s hope I’ve not forgotten how.