Project Afghan Village – Round Up
So, with the buildings largely complete, I now wanted a spurt to the finishing line to get this off my desk. I need to get cracking with the fields and irrigation ditches, but finishing this was my first priority. The final step would be to give the village a lived-in look so that it would move from being a collection of buildings to a plausible village.
The first stage was to add some pots to the roof sections and some prayer mats. The latter are really just there to add colour, the former have a more practical purpose: they serve as the handles by which the roofs can be removed.
With these done I then painted the pots and made up some odds and ends. Some stuff came from my spares box, like the oil drums and some of the fencing, other bits, like the wooden cases, I made from balsa wood cut to shape and with the planking drawn on with a biro before coating it in PVA glue. The mats you see here are just base coated as I can’t paint the detail yet due to my poorly back. However it gives the general feel. The static grass is a dry summer grass which I think is appropriate for the season just before the harvest; the fighting season.
Two of the shops got signs for visual effect rather than accuracy. Afghan villages seem to have little in the way of shop signs, I suppose everyone knows that Bert the butcher is the butcher because he’s got several dead sheep out the front. I took these from pictures of shops in Kabul. I do have plenty of produce to put outside the shops, but until my back improves to the point where I am able to sit to paint them they are not on display. However, the shutters got some graffiti to liven things up. All of this I got from images on line. It could well say “Death to the infidels” or just as easily say “We shut early on Wednesdays”, either way it looks right.
And finally the odds and ends, including a communal well which I purchased on eBay from a company called Red Zebra Models. Their range of 1:48th model accessories is perfect for 28mm gaming. Their new web site can be found here: http://www.redzebramodels.co.uk/
So, that was that. The village is largely complete. Now on to the fields and waterways. My big concern at this moment is that my back is showing no signs of getting properly better, so whilst the village may well be ready, the figures are sitting forlornly in their grey undercoat. Just eight days to go until they should be on the table for their first mission in Helmand Province.