Raising the Roof
Well, Monday is here, Partizan has come and gone. A quick word on that first: I LOVED the tent. Better lighting, when the flaps were opened up the through breeze kept the temperature down and the whole show was far more navigable than ever before Kelham Hall is a bit like Hogwarts in that the staircases change and you can never be sure you’ve seen everything in a normal Partizan; this was much better.
Equally importantly, Partizan gave me the opportunity to purchase some brewery associated bits, like roof tiles from Warbases and some barrels from Colonel Bill. So now I could set to building my roof. First things first though. On Friday I had done a bit of additional work. I’d added the now usual mix of tile grout and PVA to the loading back to strengthen that up and smooth down corners.
And I’d also added an internal ramp up which the beer barrels could be rolled up to be collected. You’ll note that the original window over which the new doors were added is still there. Maybe I should have cut this out, but I’ll paint it as metal bars which would not be an unusual security feature for a beer storage. Not anywhere near I live anyway. You’ll note that I have added a different surface to part of the floor. I intend to put up an internal wall between the two areas before I’m finished, just to add some variety.
After that I cut some card to fit snugly in the end gable section.
And then marked that so that it would fit and match the roof line.
I cut that to shape, then marked the roof sections where the glue should go and tacked them in position with a tiny touch of hot glue.
Once I knew that fitted I gunned in plenty of hot glue and added a strip along the side where the two roof sections are seperated.
Then again I added plenty of hot glue. I like this stuff as it can add a robustness to an otherwise flimsy model. Even when making off the peg model buildings I will often strengthen the structure with this stuff. But be warned, it is damnably hot and it burns like buggery! As I again found out today.
Now I added the secondary roof section, following precisely the same method. I used the original mdf roof sections to provide a template for the angles here.
Once again I gunned this full of hot glue along the joints for the sake of robustness.
I have to say that whilst it fits generally there are one or two bits that are not perfect. Here the side wall is slightly lower than the end wall.
And where my two roof sections join we get the same small gap. Se we’ll have to see what happens when we add the tiles. If the worst comes to the worst I’ll mask the gap by adding guttering.
Next time we’ll be on to the tiling.